Coral Beauty - Problem?

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a coral beauty about 3 days ago and have it in quarantine. Got it right when the LFS got its shipment - so it came home before the LFS even got it in their tank. When I got it home - I noticed a small white spot on the top fin - same spot, both sides:
IMG_5271.JPG IMG_5274.JPG IMG_5278.JPG IMG_5273.JPG IMG_5276.JPG

Started eating on day 2; started venturing out into the open a little more today.

Don't know if this is some physical damage that just needs time to heal; start of some disease/parasite; or whether its just flat normal. Any thoughts on how I should treat would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing it's short history I would venture to guess that it has an underlying parasite problem and what you are seeing there is the beginnings of an infection caused by that. It looks like it will keep growing bigger, so intervention is best done sooner than later.

OP
OP
L

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing it's short history I would venture to guess that it has an underlying parasite problem and what you are seeing there is the beginnings of an infection caused by that. It looks like it will keep growing bigger, so intervention is best done sooner than later.

I started Prazipro last night - anything else I should use (instead)?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started Prazipro last night - anything else I should use (instead)?

Too early to pinpoint anything, but running TTM is a good way to cover ick along with prazi for flukes. No chemicals other than the prazi involved. Being that it's an actual hole in the fin and not a white bump, I'm ruling out lymph for now.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too early to pinpoint anything, but running TTM is a good way to cover ick along with prazi for flukes. No chemicals other than the prazi involved. Being that it's an actual hole in the fin and not a white bump, I'm ruling out lymph for now.
X2, looks like the beginnings of a bacterial infection to me. Keep a close eye on it and grab kanaplex and furan 2 just in case

OP
OP
L

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it is spreading. IMG_5407.JPG

That spot wasn't there before. Any other thoughts? Still in QT.
IMG_5409.JPG
IMG_5411.JPG

OP
OP
L

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 48hr Kanaplex doses - still no affect. I gave it a FW dip and now back to 3rd Kanaplex dose for the night.

OP
OP
L

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's been a little over 2 months now since I started QT and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.
FullSizeRender 20.jpg IMG_8025.JPG IMG_8027.JPG

Also notice the discoloration just above the eyes. I'm starting to wonder if this is all a normal type of discoloration? Thoughts? (So far - 2 sets of Furan-2; Kanaplex with food; Selcon with food; low and stable cupramine)

Thanks

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a stab in the dark, and probably going off half-cocked, but the discoloration above the eyes almost looks like HLLE to me - in which case, the Selcon should be helping . . .

~Bruce, waiting for the real fish health experts to drop by for a look . . .

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a stab in the dark, and probably going off half-cocked, but the discoloration above the eyes almost looks like HLLE to me - in which case, the Selcon should be helping . . .

+1 I was just typing the same thing about HLLE above the eye when you posted.....

What does "low and stable cupramine" mean exactly? What concentration are you treating at and for how long now?

OP
OP
L

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thought had crossed my mind - even more so for the top 3 spots since nothing is really changing.

OP
OP
L

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I was just typing the same thing about HLLE above the eye when you posted.....

What does "low and stable cupramine" mean exactly? What concentration are you treating at and for how long now?

Running Cupramine since Feb 1 or 2. Don't have my notes in front of me. And I've kept it at 0.35-0.4. I think I had read CB were a sensitive to Cu - tried to keep it low but at therapeutic levels.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running Cupramine since Feb 1 or 2. Don't have my notes in front of me. And I've kept it at 0.35-0.4. I think I had read CB were a sensitive to Cu - tried to keep it low but at therapeutic levels.

I would go ahead & remove all the Cu. After 30 days, it's done its job.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back