Coral layout and picks

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So reflecting on a thread I made a few weeks back found HERE I have changed a few things and was wondering if I could get other peoples opinion.

I've chose to keep two tanks up this way my Clarkii and Damsel can stay right where they are plus I'd be able to get what ever fish I wanted. I recently picked up two fish as the tank has been pretty stable. I did kind of buy two fish randomly without knowing I was going to be getting them. Long story short I drove 4 hours to visit some reef stores and came across a beautiful Clownfish that I had to get. So I then drove another hour to find a pair for him and ended up with the two fish you see below. I also added some numbers to the photo to show coral placement and arrangement that I'm hoping will work. I kept some room open for suggestions as the 5 corals listed are just the top 5 picks.

Coral list & numbers(links are to the ones I like):
1 - Hammer or Torch
2 - Some type of leather, I really like devils hand or something with a little color
3 - Zoas (my top pick) - https://worldwidecorals.com/wwc-illuminati-zoanthids-156.html
4 - Duncan - http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+321+3181&pcatid=3181
5 - Plate Coral, Pinwheel - http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+321+3203&pcatid=3203

As for light I have this one: HERE
Reactor: Aquatop Media Reactor
Powerhead: 2x Jebao rw-4 powerheads
Protein Skimmer: AquaMaXX WS-1 In-Sump Protein Skimmer

Powerhead will be moved as its in its current position because the 2nd powerhead stopped working so the new one is in the mail.
coral.jpg

The two clowns will be the only two fish being added to the tank. As for other critters I'm looking at a possible star or shrimp. I really like the Fire shrimp but some people say they can be a bit aggressive and attack fish.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love the scape! FWIW, I don't like most lol.

If you like leathers, I would suggest a nice green polyp toadstool. The polyps will have a nice pop to them. And they like a decent amount of light and flow. They tend to slump over if they don't have enough flow. So I think the # 2 spot will work out great... just may depend on what the flow situation is in that exact spot. You didn't mention how deep your tank is, but #1 should be fine for a euphyllia. I'm going to assume that light fixture is pretty weak, so I don't think you will have any issues with any of your choices.

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a 29g with 20g sump and yeah the scape is really nice :) I spent a lot of time working on it haha

That polyp toadstool is beautiful :eek: its just what I was looking for thank you!

Last edited:

Kyle Seeley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your taste, but I think a nice zoa garden with different types would look great in #3

Kyle Seeley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, not sure about your light's strength, but some type of branching sps would look amazing coming off of the top of the rock where the small clown is.

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light will be upgraded heavily in a few months :)

And thank you to everyone who likes the aquascape <3

As for the zoa garden im up in the air about it because I kept reading that over time one color/type would take over killing off the others. So for me to spend $100 on a frag that I really like then have it killed off over time to one im not really a huge fan of would be a bummer. I really like some of the different zoas like the yellow brick road or dragon eyes but honestly I'm still debating and would like to hear other people's input on this topic.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For zoas, it's all about spacing and planning. For some of my faster growing ones, I make a "fence" of live rock rubble around where I want to keep them. Once it grows onto the rumble, you just remove it, replace with new rubble, and sell those frags. There are many palys that will easily grow over zoas and kill them, but I haven't had an issue yet with zoas killing zoas.

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For zoas, it's all about spacing and planning. For some of my faster growing ones, I make a "fence" of live rock rubble around where I want to keep them. Once it grows onto the rumble, you just remove it, replace with new rubble, and sell those frags. There are many palys that will easily grow over zoas and kill them, but I haven't had an issue yet with zoas killing zoas.
I found and amazing looking zoa today but sadly I'm going back to college next week so $150 for a frag was out of my price range haha but I did pick up a nice size frogspawn :)

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of awesome looking morphs out there but some are just too crazy expensive.

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long cant my fish live in a tote? I have a heater and a powerhead in the tote along with the rock and my coral.

HowardJ02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update... tank seal broke... ***
Oh no! That sucks man!
How long cant my fish live in a tote? I have a heater and a powerhead in the tote along with the rock and my coral.
I would say long enough for you to get things back up and started.. you've got the water and rock already cycled..

I would get a new tank, add new live sand and then you'll have to put the rock and water back in. Maybe you could put the fish/coral in bags or Tupperware containers for a while while the dust settles.
Just make sure to keep the salinity correct and the fish water at an acceptable temperature.
You shouldn't have a full blown out cycle using the same rock and majority of the water.
Keep us updated.

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! That sucks man!

I would say long enough for you to get things back up and started.. you've got the water and rock already cycled..

I would get a new tank, add new live sand and then you'll have to put the rock and water back in. Maybe you could put the fish/coral in bags or Tupperware containers for a while while the dust settles.
Just make sure to keep the salinity correct and the fish water at an acceptable temperature.
You shouldn't have a full blown out cycle using the same rock and majority of the water.
Keep us updated.
I hope to have the new tank tomorrow so it will be around 24 hours untill I can get a new tank drill it and everything

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update... the new tank is drilled painted and setup... waiting for the water to settle a bit before adding the fish but everything should be in tonight:)

20170117_160346.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back