Coralife Biocube 29g

Benedetto84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just recently bought a coralife biocube and was wondering about the minimum fill and maximum fill line in chamber 2. Should the water be between those lines when the pump is running Or should it be in between those line when it's not? I have mine set up so you can't see the water level in the display tank, and I have it set to the max water level spot while the pump is running, but when I turn the pump off it goes way past the max fill line. Do I have this set up correctly ?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The min and max fill line are there if you use the bio balls. Most of us are running reef tanks and ditch the bio balls as they will become a nitrate factory. I replaced the bio balls with an InTank media basket and fuge basket in chamber 2. I fill the water level to just below the small cutout between chamber 2 and 3. The water level is maintained with a Tunze ATO.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, when you shut off the return pump, the water level in chambers 2 and 3 should rise... at the same time, you should notice the water level in the display falling as well. Without the pumps running the display and the rear chambers should even out.

OP
OP
Benedetto84

Benedetto84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, when you shut off the pumps, the water level in chambers 2 and 3 should rise... at the same time, you should notice the water level in the display falling as well. Without the pumps running the display and the rear chambers should even out.
Thank you? I will eventually dump the balls once I get this one up and running! A lot of people have told me that. I think I'm going to use that max line as my spot to know how much water is leaving may tank each day so I can just add the same amount of water back to it

Daniel Morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still run the bio balls on an Oceanic Biocube 29. I have no problems with my nitrates yet. but my tank is young still 4.5 months so far with a very low bioload. I take things slow with my tank making little changes over time.

Daniel Morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8edd51c514fd5c46cf73627c30899d38.jpg

kk009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch the balls slowly over time, if you pull all at once can start a mini cycle.

There are literally 1000s of bio cube build threads, I suggest googling and reading a ton while it's still a young tank and put too much $$$ in for livestock

OP
OP
Benedetto84

Benedetto84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch the balls slowly over time, if you pull all at once can start a mini cycle.

There are literally 1000s of bio cube build threads, I suggest googling and reading a ton while it's still a young tank and put too much $$$ in for livestock

Thanks guys yeah I plan on ditching them. Everyone is saying to sooner or later. I just put water in the tank early this not get when I made the thread. I really appreciate the help guys!

Daniel Morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna replace with chunks of live rock over time.I work at LFS and do matinence on multiple tanks all day.So yeah i've seen when they eventually do take a turn for the worst.Money is my barrier at the moment for my tank. Going to be paying for my tech school, car Insurance, and Like 400 bucks rent.So Bio balls will do for now.Real life after High School is kicking my butt lol.

OP
OP
Benedetto84

Benedetto84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna replace with chunks of live rock over time.I work at LFS and do matinence on multiple tanks all day.So yeah i've seen when they eventually do take a turn for the worst.Money is my barrier at the moment for my tank. Going to be paying for my tech school, car Insurance, and Like 400 bucks rent.So Bio balls will do for now.Real life after High School is kicking my *** lol.
I feel your pain man, life after high school is when it hits you. It gets easier though! My biggest struggle is the wife agreeing to me buying stuff. I would have bigger tank but she said no:/

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%

Back