coralline color

Anero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I just picked up my first tank and live rock last weeked it's a 24g JBJ nanocube with PC lights ect ect. I put the sand and LR in the first day i got the tank to start the curing/cycle process.

anyways i was wondering, i noticed alot of the coralline seems to be bleeching out? it was red-pink in color and now alot of the coralline looks like it is turning white

any ideas?

edit

oh water parmas from last night

SG 1.022
ammonia 1-1.5 ppm
pH 8.2

Thanks!

-Jesse

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First off welcome to R2R!! :D

It seems that the coralline died off which is very normal when starting a new tank. As your tank matures it will come back.

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the LR was exposed to high light out of the water during the transfer this would speed up its dieoff and dieoff during a recycle is normal. Also reducing the main lights during the cycle will reduce any algea growth.

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity and calcium have a lot to do with growing coralline. I noticed you didn’t have those parameters on your post. They should be ok being it is a new tank but keeping an eye on them is a good idea and will help the coralline come back faster.

OP
OP
A

Anero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank has been up for about a week the color is all coming back.

params are

ammonia - ~0 almost undetectable
nitrites - ~0 almost undetectable
nitares - ~10
pH - 8.2

i dont have test for alk and cal yet going to the LFS tomorrow to pick up the alk and cal tests and see what kind of CUC they have right now.

I also picked up a Seaclone 100 at petco today, i know it's not the best but it's in budget. and i've heard mixed reviews about it some love it others hate it so i'm going to take a chance with it and see if i can get it tuned in to work. Next weekend i'm going to look at modding the nanocube and add a over flow to the back to a sump/fuge and run the skimmer in there.

edit

If anyone has info/links on moding the JBJ Nano cube i would really appreciate it :D

Last edited:

kharn101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
what is your calcium level and your alk level...coralline needs 400 ppm...are you testing your water with a calcium test kit? Oh didn't see you got that...anyway.....throw away the seaclone or just return it get a remora....your tank has only been up for a week...you should worry about it cycling not coralline that will come with age of the tank...

OP
OP
A

Anero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
roger on the remoa, i played with the Seaclone for about 2 hours last night then did some more reading it get it to work O.K. you need to modify :D, going to take it back today and order a remora for next weekends project.

as far as the calcium i'm going to start checking on that today. i dont plan on adding coral to the tank for another few weeks.

racermike27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coralline will come back with time. Die-off is normal in the cycling process, especially if the rockwork has been exposed to air. In one of my small tanks I have the coralline never grows above a certain point because I drain it to that line to do a water change.

Good luck!!

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During a cycle i would trust any readings besides ammonia and nitrite and nitrate. Whene these levels drop and level do a 20% water change and then test all your readings. Phosphate also important. The coralline will grow back and in time be a part of your regular cleaning , get some razor blades.

Corraline growth is a good indication of tanks progress and the sooner you see it the better. If you dont see its growth it could be an idication somethings off. So dosing to speed its growth isnt wanted.

Also ive read that coralline can out grow its self causing it all to die off. Coralline is a great addition but in large amounts can remove elements that corals need. Not sure how much to beleive but it makes sence. So controlling its growth , though hard , can reduce removed elements.

Anyway strive for the pink coralline or brown. Much harder to achieve . A badge of honor.
And yes i do have some but not much.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy a skimmer used i paid 60 for my bakpak 2r why spend the big bucks on the same stuff?

+1 check ur criagslist when i first went looking for my skimmer i got an aqua c remora with mj1200 plus the surface skimmer add on, a k1 and a 24inch 96watt pc light all for 120 shipped:geek:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back