Corals and Microbes

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was an interesting piece. I'm wondering if they adapt thier "selective feeding" over time in a reef tank....to what strains are most abundant?
This opens a host of questions for different things we do in the hobby

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! There are so many questions. But the microbes play an important role. I also wonder how carbon dosing may have an impact.

That was one of the first questions in my mind....Carbon dosing as fueling microbes for coral "food". If corals are particularly selective, is this a sound theory? Same with microbes in a bottle? What about the microbubble guys who support extensive coral sliming as a good thing? Each question could support it's own discussion thread.
Time to do a little online research :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..to what strains are most abundant?
the coll thing is, I don't believe we really know yet.
I also wonder how carbon dosing may have an impact.
same. esp with vinegar. the organic carbons in ethanol are different I believe.
...Carbon dosing as fueling microbes for coral "food"
Ah HA! Moment.
We should get jason2459 to put some of this stuff to the test;)
We should ask. If I get a microscope, itll prob never leave the house. I have 5 different lenses and couples for the tank already.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and fwiw, the only reason I generally like to avoid stuff like chemiclean is not because im a'feard of chemicals, it because we know so little of the use of bacteria by the corals so we have no way of knowing if some of the "beneficial" bacteria being fed on are gram positive or negative. Its becoming and increasing curiosity of mine if this is one factor in unexplained coral death. IE Does that tank not contain the a strain the coral needs for diet and other processes.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if we start with cured dry rock, and artificial salt mix, do we import starter cultures of the bacterial food when we rehydrate the salt? Are they selective in the strains they harbour in thier slime coat, but "eat" any bacteria that comes along for food?
I was reading another article last night about specific bateria being bundled with the coral spawn. Those that had certain bacteria attached had double the surival of those that didn't.
Very curious research

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if we start with cured dry rock, and artificial salt mix, do we import starter cultures of the bacterial food when we rehydrate the salt? Are they selective in the strains they harbour in thier slime coat, but "eat" any bacteria that comes along for food?
I was reading another article last night about specific bateria being bundled with the coral spawn. Those that had certain bacteria attached had double the surival of those that didn't.
Very curious research
It is interesting. Back in the day, they always said use real live rock from the ocean, for a number of reasons, including but mostly bacteria. If you read up on GARF, and GRUNGE, they cultivated sediments from tanks and the ocean across the country. Most folks scoff(and use hand sanitizer), but it is and was a scientific standard. And, just saying, a GARF Bonsai is a LEGENDARY coral.
For me, this is why I still use natural seawater(lucky by location) , and I use fiji mud. If you read PaulB, this is why he does this too, but doesn't always come right out and say it. Hes a fish guy, not a coral guy.

If you consider plant agriculture and manipulation of microbes there, its quite similar. Your making good top soil. And yes, when some folks have problem cyano ditoms bla bla bal, I recommend mud. And this is why. Diversity and competition.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back