Corals for Beginners??

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) thats what im here for love helping out :) also those corals can be kept realy anywhere in the tank except i noticed thru my exp that shrooms like lower light on the bottom of the tank! they will grow faster that way and stay open more

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats funny.... i had my mushrooms two diff types and put them in the bottom and they didnt seem to like it, not opening up very big. i moved them to mid level tank and they are loving life and huge.

OP
OP
jules11vb

jules11vb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give me some advice on how to glue these mushrooms to my live rock? I tried to do it yesterday w/ one of the small ones and he's already come unglued. I'm using the super glue gel, maybe I'm just using too much or not letting it dry enough? Am I supposed to dry the rocks off first? Any suggestions would help b/c I obviously did something wrong. Thanks.

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT glue them directly to the rock you have to glue w/e they are attached to (rubble rock, a seashell, anything) just DON'T put glue on the ric... if they're not attached to anything put them on the sandbed and they will attach to some sand which later you can glue but know that whereever you glue them they will more than likely move on you anyway prolly not far but a couple inches just my experience..

robharold

Farmer wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jules, try placing a small tupperware container with some rubble in the bottom of your tank. place the shrooms in the container and wait a week. shrooms will attach on their own. You cna then glue the piece to where you want it. Just know that shrooms can and will move if they do not like the conditions they are in.

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of things:

First, get the book the Concientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner. It has TONS of info for beginners. I read it cover to cover. He talks about alot of the above issues.
It's an easy read and will get you started in the right way.

Skimmers--you will get alot of conflicting info, but if you have several fish, you should really think about having one. I noticed alot of difference in my tank after I put in a skimmer versus before the skimmer.

Beginner corals,--zoos, rics, mushrooms all are good. I do acclimate my corals to temp by floating the bag. I always acclimate my SPS, but they aren't exactly beginner corals. I used to drip my zoos, but several folks said don't do it.

Attaching mushrooms---robharold and Nate82 are dead on with what they said. Another method I use is to place the mushroom/ric on a piece of rubble/rock/frag plug etc in the position I want it. Then, place netting over the coral and the rock/rubble etc and tie the netting to itself (string/rubber band or some other reef safe material) so that the coral is lying directly on the rubble etc and can't float off. After a couple of weeks, the coral will have attached and you can remove the netting.

Hope this is helpful.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back