Corals that you regret buying?

V4Vendetta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any corals that you bought in the past and regretted ever putting in your tank? Want to hear people's stories and experiences. Merry Christmas!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blue Cloves back in the day!

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A scolymia and Acans. I've never understood their appeal but was looking after them for someone and everyone else kept telling me how great they looked;)

Garrett W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue cloves hands down long time back...nothing beats it at being the worst pest. Everything else can be mechanically removed (Kenya, Xenia, Zoas, larger cloves...) but these guys are something else.
they can squeeze into any nook or cranny and spread like wildfire. Never again haha.

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthelia, grew like a weed and tried to take over. It ended up taking out several rocks and dried them out to kill it. Kenya trees, I liked them at first but then started dropping branches and attached everywhere. I have GSP but I like the look of it enough to keep it on an island.

OP
OP
V

V4Vendetta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the stories from ppl about xenia and kenya tree is the reason why I always say no to my gf when she suggests getting one for my tank. She thinks they are so pretty and graceful. Do zoas or palys grow fast like xenia and cover everything also?

Garrett W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the stories from ppl about xenia and kenya tree is the reason why I always say no to my gf when she suggests getting one for my tank. She thinks they are so pretty and graceful. Do zoas or palys grow fast like xenia and cover everything also?
zoas and palys can be like that. most people have zoa gardens that are separated from the rest of their 'scape to ensure they dont spread everywhere.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They can be aggressive but won't spread as bad as something like a Xenia coral. Xenia are just harder to control and maintain. Isolating Xenia is dang near impossible, and much easier with palys or zoas.

Scoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indo Elegance. Beautiful for about 4 months then started to close up and due to inexperience kept it too long and nuked 7 other corals.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon green pocillipora. Beautiful coral but dropped babies all over the tank. At first I thought it was cool to have an SPS thriving like that but I soon realized what a nusiance it could become. At one time I had over 25 small colonies from one end of the tank to the other. My apologies to all of my friends I gave frags to....I had no idea.

Interestingly I've kept other colors of pocillipora that never dropped a single baby.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back