Corals that you regret buying?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red mushrooms. Everywhere in the tank now. They look decent, but they killed a lot of corals. Now they are fine since gorgs and leathers can handle them.

jeflen651

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do not regret buying any of my corals because each one is a learning experience as to placement and containment. I have had palys, gsp, mushrooms, cloves, xenias, Kenya trees, ect. To many people put them on their rockwork and yes they will take over, but if you isolate them on individual rocks away from your main rockwork they are easy to contain. Just my opinion.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do not regret buying any of my corals because each one is a learning experience as to placement and containment. I have had palys, gsp, mushrooms, cloves, xenias, Kenya trees, ect. To many people put them on their rockwork and yes they will take over, but if you isolate them on individual rocks away from your main rockwork they are easy to contain. Just my opinion.

I have Xenia isolated and it still ends up all over my tank.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tube anemone. It stings everything. And it walks about.

IMG_2338.JPG

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't regret buying GSP I do regret putting it on one of my main rock structures. That was a mistake :(

It looks cool when people have it on its own little rock though.

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Back in 2006, a friend at the time wanted me to hold onto his new superman montipora colonies . At the time, I had an amazing montipora collection which was all wipped out by montipora eating nudibranchs..the source of the pests came in on those new superman corals I agreed to hold for a friend.

Ever since then, I place all new arrivals in long-term QT first. Lesson learned!

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a carnation coral. I was told that it was tank raised...lol. I think that they meant it was raised in a tank all alone with a constant food supply in the water column. Trying to keep it alive almost killed my tank.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Neon green pocillipora. Beautiful coral but dropped babies all over the tank. At first I thought it was cool to have an SPS thriving like that but I soon realized what a nusiance it could become. At one time I had over 25 small colonies from one end of the tank to the other. My apologies to all of my friends I gave frags to....I had no idea.

Interestingly I've kept other colors of pocillipora that never dropped a single baby.
This was my mistake as well. Never. Again.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! I don't have corals yet (still cycling my first reef tank) but I'm already changing my original stocking plan for corals. Seems like a lot of the corals listed as 'great for beginners' turn into spreading terrors. Thanks to all for posting here!

Some of the beginner corals are actually pretty great. The biggest mistake people have is placing them in areas where they grow uncontrollably. Some corals grow faster than others and a lot of the beginner type corals fall under that category.

I am actually about to purchase some ora pom pom xenia and ora silver xenia. Nothing quite like them in this hobby.

As for my worst coral purchase, a green galaxea is probably my worst. Once these things get big, their stingers extend ridiculously long and zap everything around them. They are kind of cool looking but they aren't meant to be surrounded by any coral for many many many inches.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back