Couple questions from a new guy

Jpmumaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I'm on the fence with a couple things I have heard from a few buddies with tanks. First how advisable is it really to scrape some coralline algae from a live rock and add it to the tank flow to propagate said algae throughout the tank? I have a refugium with grape in it would it be better to just add a live rock there and let time take its course? I would like to leave my aquascape as is for now so I don't really wanna add the live rock to the tank.

Secondly would adding pods now and feeding them till I have enough nutrients be ok or should I just wait and let the tank mature a few more months first. I feel like with the amount of algae growth I'm getting in my refugium it could sustain pods with minor food additions to it. I plan on using Tisbe pods if that makes any difference to the answers. Tank is all dry rock but I used live sand. Just put a couple chromies in a week ago but next weekend my clown pair should be ready to put in.

image.jpg

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is your friend in the reefing hobby.
Coraline will grow like crazy when your tank is ready, scraping it won't make any difference at all.
It takes a year minimum to even call a tank semi-mature..
In the meantime, chill and enjoy watching the changes; there will be many.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is started from dead/dry rock, then yes coraline will will have to come from somewhere, and seeding it will help. If you already have live rock in the tank then it probably won't make much difference.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. You can introduce coraline into the tank with a scraping. I would just get a snail or hermit shell with coraline growing on it (there are tons of these out there for a dollar) You can add the shell to the tank, or just scrape some of the coraline off the shell into the tank. It'll grow when the tank has what it needs, but it will be present in the tank until then.

On all the rest, just take your time. Nothing good happens fast in the hobby. If it happened fast, it hurt your wallet and made you cry. Add fish slowly, test the parameters, watch phases that the tank goes through as it matures.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. You can introduce coraline into the tank with a scraping. I would just get a snail or hermit shell with coraline growing on it (there are tons of these out there for a dollar) You can add the shell to the tank, or just scrape some of the coraline off the shell into the tank. It'll grow when the tank has what it needs, but it will be present in the tank until then.

On all the rest, just take your time. Nothing good happens fast in the hobby. If it happened fast, it hurt your wallet and made you cry. Add fish slowly, test the parameters, watch phases that the tank goes through as it matures.
X2 on every point

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After re-reading the original post entirely I stand corrected. I didn't see the part about using all dry rock to start your tank. I think there is a product called Purple up that will either seed or accelerate coraline growth. But, over time as you add corals I'd bet some will come with coraline on the skeleton. Also, like stated by melypr just wait till you have algae from your cycle and add some snails that have it on their shells. It will take time but your tank will get there provided all things are in check!

Back