Covers for acrylic tanks

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank with top cutouts which have rounded corners. I want to do a top cover and am thinking of a mesh window kit but because the corners are rounded, this presents a challenge.

I know there are companies that sell recessed lids but for the size it would cost me around 600 which is a little more than I want to spend for a top. Size is around 24x40 for each of the two cutouts . I thought about just making a larger-than-cutout screen top but that doesn't look slick at all so I am looking for ideas :).

Please assist

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you use the egg create light diffusers and cut your corners with a jig saw?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made a cutout for my window screen tank, lost some structural stability, but does the job, could you make corner cut outs?

IMG_20170220_155813.jpg

OP
OP
Reefpharmer

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made a cutout for my window screen tank, lost some structural stability, but does the job, could you make corner cut outs?

IMG_20170220_155813.jpg

If you mean cut the corners of the holes on top of the tank, it's not possible. It's 1 inch thick and tank is sps w fish

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I follow what the shape you need, do you have any pictures?

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use a router or Dremmel to round the plastic corners that attach the frames. Might lose some rigidity but once you spine in the screen, that should help. You could also use some fiberglass tape to strengthen the corners, although you might need to paint over the tape to make it look uniform and cover the tape...

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for the thread, and can;t find it, but one user posted a great screen top they made by cutting out a piece of acrylic that was the odd-shaped size of their top opening, and then routering out a channel for the spline. Wish I could find that thread... I think it was a BRS thread...

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 46 58.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back