cutting eggcrate

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I just use a pair of needlenose plies and break out the sections cleanly. Just as fast, clean, and easy as trying to actually cut it.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! I for sure have a hack saw. MIGHT have some of those pliers running around. Thanks for the responses!

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alternative lifestyle pliers work the best- I just clip what I need, then close them and make a brushing motion with them to snap off the left over tabs.

Since our alternative lifestyle pliers always seem to wander off, I typically end up using bone cutters instead.

The black eggcrate is sturdy enough you can actually run it on a table saw if you have one, the white stuff tends to shatter though.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screwdriver and a candle to smooth out the edges.

Sweet idea...never thought of that...thanks!

Personally, I just use a pair of needlenose plies and break out the sections cleanly. Just as fast, clean, and easy as trying to actually cut it.

Yeah cutting them are a PITA...i used needle nose pliers too and just carefully break the sections out.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screwdriver and a candle to smooth out the edges.

I always have used a screwdriver. You can just break the first piece in the line you want and then just rip through the rest of the sheet in one brisk motion. Then a lighter or torch smooth out the edges from where the pieces broke off. Fastest way IME

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm, I am scared to ask what "alternative lifestyle pliers" are and where to get them hahaha! They only had the white, so that is what I am rolling with.

Love the lighter/candle idea. That is great to get rid of the sharp edges. Great information!

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use side cutting pliers, then sand with a palm sander. great idea with the flame and the screwdriver, will try that next time i cut some up.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use wire cutters to cut where I need. As long as they can cut butter, they should easily cut through the egg crate where you want.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alternative lifestyle pliers = dutch system for reclaiming land from otherwise ocean covered land. Not sure if it's a regional thing, but it's what I've always called (and heard called) 'diagonal' pliers out here

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back