Cyano Algae Bloom

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning R2R Community.

So I've had this beautiful (not so much) cyano algae in my tank for about 2-3 weeks. I've done weekly water changes and my parameters are great. My tank is only 3 months old so I know that I'll go through some algae blooms while the tank matures. Is there something that I should do, or should I let nature run it's course with this? I've also adjusted the powerhead to get more flow to the sand...anyway let me know your thoughts and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all!!!

IMG_4459.JPG

OP
OP
tdowning

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that test will show you the method of treatment. Spirulina is treated differently than lets say cylindrospermum
If the water turns pink then yes you can proceed with H2O2 at your discretion

OP
OP
tdowning

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the BioCube's standard lights; 10k daylight Fluorescent Lamp (runs 10am-8pm) Lunar Blue LED's (run 24/7) Actinic Fluorescent Lamp (runs 8am-10pm)

Dreadnaught

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through a similar issue on a young tank. I tried a number of things but what finally solved it was increasing water flow at the sand level. It keeps waste and food from settling into the sand. This is assuming your Phosphates and Nitrates are low and not the core issue.

OP
OP
tdowning

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through a similar issue on a young tank. I tried a number of things but what finally solved it was increasing water flow at the sand level. It keeps waste and food from settling into the sand. This is assuming your Phosphates and Nitrates are low and not the core issue.
Thanks! Phosphates and Nitrates are both low and I do a 20% water change every 10 days. I'll try aiming the powerhead lower to see if I can create some more flow on the sand bed...Thanks again!

OP
OP
tdowning

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that test will show you the method of treatment. Spirulina is treated differently than lets say cylindrospermum
If the water turns pink then yes you can proceed with H2O2 at your discretion
The tests resulted in the water turning pink, I did my first treatment tonight and as soon as I put the H202 into the water, my urchin fell from the highest rock to the sandbed below and it's pins fell flat. It has since recovered and seems to be doing ok. Basically, should all my fish and clean up crew be ok w/ the H202 and do you have a recommendation as to how to apply the H202 to the water...or do I apply it directly to the cyanobacteria using a baster? Thanks again for your help.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tests resulted in the water turning pink, I did my first treatment tonight and as soon as I put the H202 into the water, my urchin fell from the highest rock to the sandbed below and it's pins fell flat. It has since recovered and seems to be doing ok. Basically, should all my fish and clean up crew be ok w/ the H202 and do you have a recommendation as to how to apply the H202 to the water...or do I apply it directly to the cyanobacteria using a baster? Thanks again for your help.
Yes H2O2 needs to be applied in a hi flow area. No fish or inverts should be exposed to the "cloud". Administer it slowly to allow it to disperse into the water. Keep an eye on him as it sounds like he might have been exposed directly.

hopperjl16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tdowning did you get your cyano to clear up with the H2O2? I'm having similar issues with my biocube29. Thanks!

OP
OP
tdowning

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually used ChemiClean and it worked wonders! My sandbed looks as good as it has.

Tdowning did you get your cyano to clear up with the H2O2? I'm having similar issues with my biocube29. Thanks!

hopperjl16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually used ChemiClean and it worked wonders! My sandbed looks as good as it has.

Nice! How did you accomplish the increased aeration in your biocube for the treatment? Did you put in an airstone?

OP
OP
tdowning

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! How did you accomplish the increased aeration in your biocube for the treatment? Did you put in an airstone?
I did...and it worked great...sorry for the delay in responding...i was on vacation all last week!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried Chemiclean twice now and each time the Cyano came back within a month. Trying H2O2 now and lowering the nutrients ( No3 - 2.5 / Po4 - .06).

ktharv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning R2R Community.

So I've had this beautiful (not so much) cyano algae in my tank for about 2-3 weeks. I've done weekly water changes and my parameters are great. My tank is only 3 months old so I know that I'll go through some algae blooms while the tank matures. Is there something that I should do, or should I let nature run it's course with this? I've also adjusted the powerhead to get more flow to the sand...anyway let me know your thoughts and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all!!!

IMG_4459.JPG
What kind of coral is that? Sorry, off topic. That’s what I have and not sure what kind it is....

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back