Cyanobacteria - questions, answers and solution

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi members and visitors!
First I would like to thank all the members here on R2R that has helped me with this project.
All the samples sent to me has been crucial to the information gathered.
@cowboy has been a huge help and inspiration to keep moving forward and working directly with me on this topic and other future topics.
I know a lot have been waiting for my final write up. I have been working with ReefNation during the end of this study and also busy with them for other future topics of reef aquaria.
So now here is some of the best questions about cyanobacteria and my answers to them.
Please visit this information here
http://www.reefnation.com/understanding-cyanobacteria/

From here I would like to invite questions you may all have about this particular topic.

Cyanobacteria can be beat and this was my goal using methods that are absolutely harmless to any tank life when used properly.
Thank you all as I move forward!
Todd

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are welcome a lot of time and effort was and still is involved in this subject :)

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would we do without you.
That Cyano project is a HUGE help to all here on R2R.
Thank you Todd and @cowboy
Thank you means a lot to me!
I like to think outside the box and help our community with problems that seem to have no end.

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd,
I have had what I believe to be cyano for a while in my 120 gallon tank. I am currently using Red Sea NOPOX to control NO3 and PO4. While my nutrient levels have dropped to 2ppm and .19ppm respectively, the cyano remains. I also dose Red Sea Reef Energy A&B. I am interested in trying your treatment to rid my tank of cyano. Do you suggest not dosing these while I treat or is it safe to continue?

Regards,
Mike W.

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd,
I have had what I believe to be cyano for a while in my 120 gallon tank. I am currently using Red Sea NOPOX to control NO3 and PO4. While my nutrient levels have dropped to 2ppm and .19ppm respectively, the cyano remains. I also dose Red Sea Reef Energy A&B. I am interested in trying your treatment to rid my tank of cyano. Do you suggest not dosing these while I treat or is it safe to continue?

Regards,
Mike W.

Mike unfortunately once you have an abundance of cyano it will find a way to sustain itself as its actually very hardy. After a lot of talking with people it seems that a lot of people aren't seeing cyano they are actually dealing with spirulina. A quick check for is take a sample of the mats from the tank with tank water in a cup add a bit of H2O2 and see if it has a reaction. No reaction= spirulina.

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike unfortunately once you have an abundance of cyano it will find a way to sustain itself as its actually very hardy. After a lot of talking with people it seems that a lot of people aren't seeing cyano they are actually dealing with spirulina. A quick check for is take a sample of the mats from the tank with tank water in a cup add a bit of H2O2 and see if it has a reaction. No reaction= spirulina.
Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try and see what happens.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd,

Regards,
Mike W.
The A and B is going to be your point of Amino acids
Cyanobacteria loves aminos
As my friend has stated first it must be identified
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/positive-identification-of-cyanobacteria.253287/

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have torn down and started over if not for ya'lls hard work. Thank you very much! I can't wait to see what you do next.

Just remember a little red mat at least it adds color:). I believe the next wright up will blow your mind and make a lot of people very happy. :D;)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many aquariums (tested) have used the h2o2 cure you have outlined in the article?

Great question!
I know that many hobbyist have used it with successful results.
There's another thread on here that is kinda long but it shows reviews and results from ppl who used it.
@twilliard can fill this in him self.
Thanks for that great question.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano origination test, where does it come from look see

put a cup of distilled water on a windowsill all summer long opened but topped with distilled (someone do, post back) so that it gets only natural contaminations and heat/cold cycles. Gnats, dust, a spiders web depending on how clean someone's sill is, leave it all there. Vectors

On August first after a mo and half prep sitting there, add only freshwater planted tank fertilizers that include n and p in any ratio. If no algae or cyano got in this tank since we've added nothing of aquarium origin, then we've only created a dilute soln of fertilizer, cup sides will remain free of depositional growths water not cloudy or green.

End of August, cup has life easily seen, monera... how did cyano get in there? Could be the spirulina...mail samples for scope ID

This test discerns what we can QT and what we can't.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back