Cycled Tank?

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a new 55 gallon tank 2 weeks ago with the idea of having a simple low maintenance second tank. I took the 4 canister filter pads and put them in my established tanks' sump for a few weeks. Added that along with 20# of established rock to the tank with an additional 10# of dry rock and about 3# of dry sand.

I noticed a a large diatom bloom the past day or two and tested the water just now. Is it possible to have a cycle complete in 13 days? I know by adding established rock and filter pads the cycle process can be shortened, but by that much?
I didn't test ALL parameters but as of right now:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - <5

Do I add a fish, or should I wait longer? I know everyone has a different cycle experience, but let's hear some feedback.
Thanks!

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do an ammonia test and if in 24 hours back down to zero you are good. But yes you could the way started. You could also but not so good for fish and one to see what happens i 24 hours. Just is sad to use live stock like that. You should be able to get the right ammonia at ACE hardware or HomeDepot to test. Good luck

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back