Cycling a tank - lights on or off?

Davies13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get a few people's opinions on whether they prefer to keep lights on or off during a cycle? What's the benefits of either approach?

Also, skimmer on or off?

Start a refugium before or after cycle?

Wavemakers on or off?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cycling mine without lights as algae like lights too thrive .. so I'm hoping too reduce it ... Iam also cycling with skimmer on .. I started with dry rocks .. so I expect some breakdown of dead material from the rocks even if I can't see it I have a small powerhead in for circulation..sorry I don't have a refugium .. curious too see what others do !!

OP
OP
Davies13

Davies13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always cycled with lights but I was leaning towards cycling without this time.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always cycled with lights but I was leaning towards cycling without this time.
To be honest the only reason I'm cycling without lights is because I sent them back ..I'm gonna order new ones next week .. if I had them they would probably be on ..just because I like looking at my tank with them on ..:p:D:D.. I'm still a newbie in this hobby ..!

OP
OP
Davies13

Davies13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I have the patience to leave then off through the full cycle. Maybe I'l leave them on for my days off and switch them off when at work. A good compromise!

OP
OP
Davies13

Davies13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycle with the lights on. I figure that the tank is going to get ugly anyway and I may as well start dealing with whatever pops up sooner than later.
Should I expect an algae bloom either way? I'm not using any live rock, I was hoping that this may help reduce the chance of nuisance algae during setup (just a guess).

OP
OP
Davies13

Davies13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled with lights, skimmer & powerheads off. Lights on just promotes algae while you don't have a cuc in the tank.
Any thoughts on if I should wait before starting a refugium?

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you get algae anyway. Algae is in the air and nutrients are in the tank. I think going with the lights on will give your CUC enough to eat. I think if you cycle the tank with the lights off, you then need turn on the lights and wait for the CUC's food to grow. Wouldn't be good to starve them. I am not an expert by any means, just the way my mind works!:)

nigel aston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always cycle with the lights on, unless you want to kill off any life that's growing on the live rock. Algae will grow whatever you do. Have the lights on 8-12 hours a day on a cycle (dawn to dust, if your lights have this feature). Keep your skimmer running through out the cycle and there after. If you are using any supplements to speed up the cycling process, then keep your reactors off until the full cycle is complete.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cycling a 29 gallon tank in my garage with the lights on during the day and off at night. I am using basic Marineland lights as I am going to do an invert only tank and not planning on having any real coral, maybe a kenya tree at most.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back