OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a couple weeks of treating the tank with DinoX for the dinos in the display and a dose of Fluconazole prior to that for the HA in the refugium, I can say that the dinos is almost completely gone from the display and the refugium is VERY clean.
Here's a before and after of the fuge.
Not that neither treatment affected the macros.

i-2PD7Hcc.jpg

i-wXshxrC.jpg
i-NF7FHSX.jpg

Both the display and refugium are on severely reduced light cycles for a few days and I'll start ramping back up.
Continuing to try and blow leftover snot off the rocks and sand in the display.

Nitrates have been holding steady at ~5 ppm on their own, no need for dosing.
I've increased my fish load a bit so that may be helping and not sure what else is going on chemically in the tank between the algae and the chemicals.
I did do a 45g water change this weekend and plan on doing another this coming weekend.

My TCK highlighter seems to be the one sps to take a major hit during all of this.
A few others have dulled out a bit.
And as far as inverts go, the urchins are dieing off one by one. Not sure about my shrimps, snails and hermits yet.

As long as the algae is gone I'm happy. Can always order more crew.

All other parameters seem to be right on target, so hopefully a few rounds of large water changes will help get more junk out of the water and get things back on track.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you think brought the dinos in or on?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great set up!! Jealous in many ways :)
Thanks! :)

What do you think brought the dinos in or on?
They popped up (along with some HA) back around Thanksgiving when the fuge PACKED with cheato crashed on me.
Ended up my tank was depleted of nutrients. Zero nitrates.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still happy with triton method? You still going to stick with it for the long term?
For the most part, yes. Just working through this algae issue.
I've had very little nutrients before (no3/p04) but I wasn't dosing all these trace elements so it never caused a problem.
So I'm finding this approach is a bit more sensitive in that respect. It's just been a bit of a learning curve.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really good to know d2mini. That you are wanting to stick with this method for the long haul . Very good to know , I am really considering the Triton method my self on my build.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini when do you plan on adding in the rabbitfish and others from the QT?
The rabbit fish went in but he didn't make it. Didn't seem to want to eat in the display.
I added some more anthias, the midnight clown that was qt'd with the rabbitfish, a coral beauty (who has been hiding in the rocks since I put him in 5 days ago) and i have a couple small pajama cardinal about to leave QT now.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait to see the new fish in the tank!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been an experience to read through this. This is a glimpse into the pros! Thank you I have learned a lot! I want to build something like this, but I'm pretty sure I have much more to learn.
Thanks! Hope it helps ya some. :)

So couple minor updates...
I've done two 40g-ish water changes this week trying to get all the junk from my algae treatments out of the tank.
Plan on doing another one tomorrow.

I finally added a second MP40 and decided to put it on the side, even though I'd rather not see it there and now have to clean around it when cleaning my glass, but I figured it would be better to have the cross flow.
Both MP40's are running various programs throughout the day, controlled by my GHL Profilux 4.

And my latest toy that also came in this week from GHL is their Flow Meter which I'll be installing tomorrow on the return line.

Finally, some cleanup crew from John at ReefCleaners.org is sitting on my doorstep waiting for me to come home. And more coming next week from Richard at Tampa Bay Saltwater.

Other than that, and some recent fish additions, the tank is in "recovery mode".
SPS are showing signs of stress, lost some CUC, one of my anemones moved... that DinoX and Fluconazole ain't no joke.
Time to make sure everything stays as stable as possible and otherwise leave things be for a little while.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL Flow Meter installed. Installed on the return line.
It's the thing with the orange wire coming out of the top.
Now I know that I'm getting a disappointing 600gph out of my Ecotech Vectra L1 running at 100% power. :oops:

i-dZBxS8S.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back