Anyone know what causes this?
IMG_1479018907.347183.jpg
IMG_1479018918.459979.jpg

Tyler Collinske

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try testing your Magnesium surprisingly Zoas love Mag and guzzle it up with out you realizing it. Test everything see where your levels are and how long do you run your lights and at what spectrum?

OP
OP
RookieReef

RookieReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try testing your Magnesium surprisingly Zoas love Mag and guzzle it up with out you realizing it. Test everything see where your levels are and how long do you run your lights and at what spectrum?

My magnesium is actually low right now at 1080ppm I just bought some more magnesium to dose, I'll give that a try

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm totally lost here!
I couldn't figure out what the problem was by the pics...
:confused:
Grandis.

WereAllNegan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did dosing the mag help? I have the same problem right now and going crazy trying to fix it.

Attachments

• 20220209_192547.jpg
    20220209_192547.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 47

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its unfortunate, I have the same problem and don't know what it is =(
Took a quick look online and it seems a lot of people have had the same problem with no explanation.
If it's just that one polyp, I wouldn't worry too much. If it has had anything push down on it, it might be damaged temporarily. I have done that more than once.
If it's more than one now, or on some that are higher up, have you tried moving them lower? It could be light burn. The bacteria that produces the color seems to be dying. The only thing I can think of besides trauma that would do that is too much light.

Last edited:

WereAllNegan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a quick look online and it seems a lot of people have had the same problem with no explanation.
If it's just that one polyp, I wouldn't worry too much. If it has had anything push down on it, it might be damaged temporarily. I have done that more than once.
If it's more than one now, or on some that are higher up, have you tried moving them lower? It could be light burn. The bacteria that produces the color seems to be dying. The only thing I can think of besides trauma that would do that is too much light.
Dude I appreciate you taking the time. Things seem to be doing better and its regainined most of its color. Im not sure what caused it to fade but I think you're right about it being disturbed by something it. Probably my Blenny picking at it lol

How long have you been reefing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I appreciate you taking the time. Things seem to be doing better and its regainined most of its color. Im not sure what caused it to fade but I think you're right about it being disturbed by something it. Probably my Blenny picking at it lol

How long have you been reefing?
Not long, lol. Just over a year. I hurt my hip badly and couldn't really walk and then had surgery, so I spent way, way to much time in this chair in front of the computer reading and posting here. I'm glad the color is coming back!

Last edited by a moderator:

WereAllNegan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not long, lol. Just over a year. I hurt my hip badly and couldn't really walk and then had surgery, so I spent way, way to much time in this chair in front of the computer reading and posting here. I'm glad the color is coming back!
Me too! Its been about a year now. I'm really sorry about your hip, my father fell 2 weeks ago and is having hip surgery as well in a few days. He also has Leukemia which makes things worse. I hope you're doing well. Being stuck inside can be frustrating and depressing but just know it's only a matter of time. Atleast we have our tanks

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too! Its been about a year now. I'm really sorry about your hip, my father fell 2 weeks ago and is having hip surgery as well in a few days. He also has Leukemia which makes things worse. I hope you're doing well. Being stuck inside can be frustrating and depressing but just know it's only a matter of time. Atleast we have our tanks
Sorry about your father. I'm finally getting out of the house. My most exciting news recently was walking my dog for the first time in over a year. :rolleyes:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back