Dawn's 56g memorial seahorse tank!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's nice of Dave. I'm glad the ponies are doing well. Adam has 2 at The Reef Gallery in his macro tank. They are very weird though, they hide in the rocks during the day and come out at night.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Females would be cool. If you're not interested in babies, they're just a pain. Girls rule. Boys drool.

black-calligraphy-happy-birthday-fireworks-wishes-animated-gif.gif
Thanks Renee, you have clinched it for me...I will be ordering 2 girls!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's nice of Dave. I'm glad the ponies are doing well. Adam has 2 at The Reef Gallery in his macro tank. They are very weird though, they hide in the rocks during the day and come out at night.
Hhmm, I have not been to reef gallery in a long time. I would love to see them. I might have to take a ride up there some time soon.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I noticed a white patch near Ruth's anal fin. I feared that it might be a wound that was infected but Ruth gave no indication that it was sore. Today I looked at it with a magnifying glass and I think Ruth may be developing a pouch!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I noticed a white patch near Ruth's anal fin. I feared that it might be a wound that was infected but Ruth gave no indication that it was sore. Today I looked at it with a magnifying glass and I think Ruth may be developing a pouch!

So Ruth may be a Rudy? How does that work?

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ruth may be a Rudy? How does that work?
Yes, Ruth may be a Rudy. All seahorses are born looking like females. They can develope pouches anywhere from 4 months and I think as late as their 1st year. Ruth is under a year old, I am pretty sure. She was really little when I got her and I doubt she could have been more than 6 months old. That was less than 6 months ago. I am even wondering if Eve being a big female has somehow encouraged Ruth to turn male?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Ruth may be a Rudy. All seahorses are born looking like females. They can develope pouches anywhere from 4 months and I think as late as their 1st year. Ruth is under a year old, I am pretty sure. She was really little when I got her and I doubt she could have been more than 6 months old. That was less than 6 months ago. I am even wondering if Eve being a big female has somehow encouraged Ruth to turn male?

wow. Totally learned something new today! Thanks :)

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask what you have in the back of your tank? The tall coral things in the middle?

If you mean the things I circled, they are different species of gorgonians. Some of the gorgonians have red grape caulerpa growing along side of it as well.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dawn, I know I've said this before but I just love this tank and your sea horses!
Happy friday :)
Thanks Chris and happy Friday to you as well. I like this tank the best of all the tanks I have had and the ponies are the favorite fish that I have had.

NakiFantaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you mean the things I circled, they are different species of gorgonians. Some of the gorgonians have red grape caulerpa growing along side of it as well.

Yes that's it!!! Thanks for the info! Are those NPS corals? Or do they did a ton of light? Also do the ponies damage them when they hitch on them?

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's it!!! Thanks for the info! Are those NPS corals? Or do they did a ton of light? Also do the ponies damage them when they hitch on them?
None of my gorgs are nonphotosynthetic. I have a coralife HOT5 fixture so they get pretty good light although my tank is 24" tall. There are enough gorgs that the ponies hitch on different ones all the time so none of them get so irritated as to do poorly.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is very windy as a cool front is blowing in. The electricity has flickered multiple times. I always worry that when the electricity goes on and off, it will fry my pumps, especially the aqualifter that primes my overflow.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ponies were quite active this evening. Ruth is definitely not injured which is a relief. The jury is still out on whether she is developing a pouch. Males seem more delicate. She is my beauty so I am hoping she is not turning male but it will be what it will be.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I order ponies from Seahorse Source in April I think I will enquire if they have any red or reddish ponies? My tank has a lot of red with the various red macros. I could also ask about pink since I have some pink leathers, and gorgs. I would have enjoyed yellow ponies but I only have 1 pale yellow gorg. I will just have to see what colors are available in April.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be excited to see the new ponies!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back