Dawn's 56g memorial seahorse tank!

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been busy and haven't had time to catch up with your build until now. Beautiful ponies, tank, everything. Thanks as always for sharing.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I maintenanced my tank and am still amazed at how easy it is compared to my 2 previous tanks. I blasted the rockwork and macro algaes to release debris and detritus but it doesn't trap much because the higher flow keeps stuff from settling. A little pile of stuff collects after about 3 days by the food bowl where the flow is lower by design. I just syphon that out with with my bi-weekly water change.

3 sides of the glass are easily cleaned with the mag cleaner once a week and the back wall is scraped about once every 2 weeks.

The sump is where my most intense cleaning is needed as I syphon once a month around the skimmer and pumps and suck detritus off the top of the DSB. I clean the skimmer cup bi-weekly when I do WCs and I change carbon weekly. Even at that my maintenance is not that much and I find it enjoyable.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I have been watching the ponies play in the flow. They will swim along the rockwork towards the tunze 6045 and then they will allow themselves to just drift into the fast flow to be carried across the front of the tank. Even Eve joined in. They made it look like so much fun that I almost wished I were a seahorse!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I have been watching the ponies play in the flow. They will swim along the rockwork towards the tunze 6045 and then they will allow themselves to just drift into the fast flow to be carried across the front of the tank. Even Eve joined in. They made it look like so much fun that I almost wished I were a seahorse!

I'd love to see video of this!

Paperskirt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, my goal is to eventually own some ponies but I was to be sure I'm ready and have enough knowledge before I attempt! Love your new tank and how exciting for your new little man to possibly have some babies!! Anyway I'm going keep following to see new updates..

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, my goal is to eventually own some ponies but I was to be sure I'm ready and have enough knowledge before I attempt! Love your new tank and how exciting for your new little man to possibly have some babies!! Anyway I'm going keep following to see new updates..
If you are thinking of keeping ponies someday I would highly recommend doing a free seahorse online training course. Its offered by seahorse.com. Just go to forums and click on the first stickie. It is comprehensive and you do it at your own pace. I felt very equipped with the knowledge I needed to embark on my journey of seahorse keeping. They imply that you should buy your ponies from them but there is no obligation.

Little Boaz is not pregnant yet but he definitely is aspiring to be pregnant someday.

Paperskirt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @vlamgel I will definitely do the course, I do have a question and that being in your years of keeping what do you find to be the easiest ones? I know a lot of sites suggest particular ones but I also know in other areas they can be a tad misleading in equipment suggestions and other areas. Just curious if you've had more success with some more than other and so on, just asking for your opinion rather than anything..

I guess that is a little bit of good knew him not coming pregnant yet so he can get use to his new home..?.. I'm sure he will make a good dad someday tho.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @vlamgel I will definitely do the course, I do have a question and that being in your years of keeping what do you find to be the easiest ones? I know a lot of sites suggest particular ones but I also know in other areas they can be a tad misleading in equipment suggestions and other areas. Just curious if you've had more success with some more than other and so on, just asking for your opinion rather than anything..

I guess that is a little bit of good knew him not coming pregnant yet so he can get use to his new home..?.. I'm sure he will make a good dad someday tho.
Actually I am somewhat new to keeping seahorses myself. I have only been doing it for a little over 2 years and have only kept 1 specie so far...H erectus. I did choose erectus because they are considered by most to be a good beginner seahorse. I like their outgoing personalities too, some species are more reclusive.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well little Boaz and Eve have been doing the courtship dance for the last 3 days. He is so much smaller than her making them somewhat mismatched. I suppose that is why an egg transfer is yet to take place.

I sometimes feel bad for Ruth being left out of all the interaction but she doesn't seem to mind at all. It gives her first shot at the food bowl.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pregnancy yet and I am ok with that. Eve is very receptive to Boaz's attention when she has ripened eggs that she wants to unload, however any other time she is like 'get lost kid'! Boaz is never offended and just hangs with Ruth who seems to be everyone's buddy.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL!! *soap opera music plays in the background*
Instead of the 'the young and the restless' I have 'the persistent and the persnickity'! LOL

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I blasted all the rockwork with a turkey baster. The higher flow greatly diminishes the amount of detritus that settles on the rock so there wasn't a lot of detritus. The ponies handle the higher flow just fine.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see video of this!
I caught Ruth playing in the flow in the above post. Its just a cell phone video so not the greatest but you'll get the idea.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught Ruth playing in the flow in the above post. Its just a cell phone video so not the greatest but you'll get the idea.

She an energetic little girl isn't she? I've never seen such an active seahorse... of course most of the ones I've seen where in State aquariums.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back