Decrotive ATO Reservoir

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried using a decorative vase or bottle as a ATO reservoir ? I do not have any room in my tank stand to keep one out of site. I was thinking of using something like a large floor vase or something like that. Something that would look inconspicuous.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much space do you have next to your tank? I had the same problem when I got my super ugly 14 gallon reservoir, so I made a slightly less ugly cabinet for it. If you don't have any luck finding a pretty pot, that could be an option.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always put it in basement and drill small hole by baseboard. Most ato pumps have enough head pressure to pump it up and if anything you could build a shelf and put it close to ceiling in basement. To keep the hole small get a reducer fitting and take it down to 1/4".

OP
OP
BMan

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always put it in basement and drill small hole by baseboard. Most ato pumps have enough head pressure to pump it up and if anything you could build a shelf and put it close to ceiling in basement. To keep the hole small get a reducer fitting and take it down to 1/4".
Except I don't have a basement and wouldn't drill holes in the expensive trim anyway. Not going to work for me.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didnt know what your situation was bud. I didnt know you had an exotic african mahogany wood 200 years old as baseboard either. But i said drill BY not INTO your expensive trim. For people who do have basements, Remove the baseboard, drill a hole for 1/4" tubing, run the line and usually there is enough space between the drywall and floor to run it in there because drywall never gets installed all the way to the floor. Put the baseboard back on and because its such small tubing you would squeeze it between the carpet and baseboard. If you dont have carpet then get creative. There, your expensive baseboard goes untouched.

OP
OP
BMan

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sound like a great way to keep large volumes or top off water but....I don't have a basement. It's not an option.

OP
OP
BMan

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of cabinet space and no means to locate system in a basement leaves only one option. A decorative floor vase of some kind. I'm looking for examples of similar set ups.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of cabinet space and no means to locate system in a basement leaves only one option. A decorative floor vase of some kind. I'm looking for examples of similar set ups.
I think that is an interesting option. I'm in a similar situation. I was planning on building myself a cabinet but a decorative container would be much easier. The typical large flower pots aren't an option since they are designed to let water drain. I'll do some digging and let you know if I find anything.

OP
OP
BMan

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
BMan

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dia x Dia X length X pie / 231 = gallons

Comes up to 15.5 gallons

Prairie Dog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem. I found a dark brown plastic decorative clothes hamper with a hinged lid. It has a wicker pattern on it. It is square and it tapers from the top to the bottom. I have 2- 5 gallon buckets in it. Bottom bucket for elevation. Top bucket contains my ATO water. I ran 1/4" tubing from ATO bucket to sump. I have a manual on/0ff valve in the sump. I fill the ATO bucket manually with my ALK. Can take pics later tonight. It is partially hidden by my stand, so not noticeable.

OP
OP
BMan

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a JBJ ATO with two floats to use. I'm really liking the black vase I posted.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem I see is the risk of a siphon. I was looking for shorter containers. As long as you feed your ATO into the DT and not the sump I think that should work.

OP
OP
BMan

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem I see is the risk of a siphon. I was looking for shorter containers. As long as you feed your ATO into the DT and not the sump I think that should work.[/QUOTE
If I placed a ATO discharge above normal water level it will never siphon.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back