Designing a manifold

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ty, this is very helpful and makes perfect sense. No need for the valve if the sump can handle the extra water. I am assuming this will also be the case for me, so no valve it is!
Glad I could help. Let us know if you have any more questions!

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which brand of primer and cement do you recommend? I
Looking for an answer for this as well.. I know there's some type of clear cement that doesn't leave your pipes ugly..but don't know much other than that

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also curious where people recommend I can purchase schedule 80 connections that isn't brs. Anywhere cheaper?

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for an answer for this as well.. I know there's some type of clear cement that doesn't leave your pipes ugly..but don't know much other than that

Simply use the tried and true Oatey brand. It's sold everywhere! They have a clear and that's what I have always used.

Also curious where people recommend I can purchase schedule 80 connections that isn't brs. Anywhere cheaper?

They have a minimum order but take a look here.

http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/

As dbl mentioned, PVCfittingsonline.com is great... my goto for schedule 80. I'm not aware of a minimum order though... I have literally ordered one, $1 part before.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on applying the cement? I'm making a mess of it, lol!

Push fittings together and all the excess comes out, wipe it off and messes up that nice colored piping you just waited a week to come in :mad:

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on applying the cement? I'm making a mess of it, lol!

Push fittings together and all the excess comes out, wipe it off and messes up that nice colored piping you just waited a week to come in :mad:

You are simply using too much cement.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I'm not aware of a minimum order though... I have literally ordered one, $1 part before.

Maybe they've done away with the minimum order. It was only like $25 if I remember correctly, so it wasn't an issue.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you applying to both the pipe and the fittings? All I ever see is... apply generously.

Yes, to both... but not dripping. I like to scrape the applicator, a few times, on the inside lip of the can opening. This will get the excess off the applicator.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have a minimum order but take a look here.

http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/
Are Cepex ball valves different from what they sell on pvcfittings? I guess I'm looking to purchase a bunch of things together.. just not sure if they are good enough quality as the brs is. Im specifically now looking at ball valves and gate valves. Are they the same and just better than homedepot?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply use the tried and true Oatey brand. It's sold everywhere! They have a clear and that's what I have always used.

As dbl mentioned, PVCfittingsonline.com is great... my goto for schedule 80. I'm not aware of a minimum order though... I have literally ordered one, $1 part before.
Whilst looking online, I can't really seem to figure out which is the clear and which isn't.. I can only seem to find a clear primer and 'cleaner' Am I missing something?

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Cepex ball valves different from what they sell on pvcfittings? I guess I'm looking to purchase a bunch of things together.. just not sure if they are good enough quality as the brs is. Im specifically now looking at ball valves and gate valves. Are they the same and just better than homedepot?

From my experience, Cepex and Spears(PVCfittingsonline.com) are very comparable.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CPVC doesn't stand for cepex, correct?
Also thanks for the cement links. Do you recommend I use slip fittings as opposed to threaded? I need to go check out your thread again.

From my experience, Cepex and Spears(PVCfittingsonline.com) are very comparable.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CPVC doesn't stand for cepex, correct?
Also thanks for the cement links. Do you recommend I use slip fittings as opposed to threaded? I need to go check out your thread again.

No, CPVC does not stand for Cepex. CPVC is a more flexible version of PVC that is chlorinated during the manufacturing process. You want to use slip. You also want to use true unions where you can. You will only find one in mine because of super tight space constraints. However, I would definitely have used a bunch of true unions if I had the space.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And @dbl made me realize I should of been more clear. When I stated to use true unions, I was referring to just true unions within the plumbing in key locations. Absolutely use true union ball valves. I guess in my mind I was assuming you would use true union ball valves... I kind of forgot that you can get them without true unions lol.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help guys. I was thinking about using as many unions as possible. This may be a dumb question, but how does the union attach to the pipe itself? Just twist on? Are there any disadvantages to using hate valves everywhere is used a ball valves other than higher costs?

Back