Designing a manifold

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rev, I got mine at Farmer Boy Ag for about a fifth of the cost of what they have at BRS. In example, the 1" clamps are $1.19 each at Farmer Boy Ag, vs the $5.99 each 1" clamps at BRS.

PVCClamp.JPG

http://www.farmerboyag.com/1-Quick-Latch-Pipe-Hanger

Thanks! How does it mount to the wall? Does it have to be mounted before the plumbing goes into place?

JBradford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I've used has a single screw that goes right through the oblong looking hole on the right side. Mount the clip and then snap the pipe into it.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clamps have a single screw hole at the center of the inside of the clamp. You need to mount the clamp, then place the pipe and click it shut.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev, I got mine at Farmer Boy Ag for about a fifth of the cost of what they have at BRS. In example, the 1" clamps are $1.19 each at Farmer Boy Ag, vs the $5.99 each 1" clamps at BRS.

http://www.farmerboyag.com/1-Quick-Latch-Pipe-Hanger

Very nice. These cost a bit more but I liked that there was the option to skip the full wrap around latch. The pipe just snaps in for a pressure grip. Easy to pull out and put back in:

https://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?p=Pipe-Mounting-Clamps&p_id=Cobra010&xm=on&ppinc=detail

CobraClips.jpg

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing this thread back to life. I'm trying to get ideas how to plumb my tank, and I think I want a manifold. Do I plumb it directly into my return line, or do I branch it off to the side? My return will be 1", I don't need to downsize the pvc anymore than that do I? Also the Ts, are there reduced Ts that I use?

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy tee's that reduce or adapter that reduce. Strictly up to you. Aquarium speciality had a ton of colors pvc fittings, pvc fittings online and bulk reef supply have a ton of fittings. BRS has a ton of colored pvc! Supply house is another good resource for fittings and valves! Draw it out on paper! You can use white pvc and acetone will take off the black lettering. I always orefer to use clear primer and cement, unless you are good at the gluing process.

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy tee's that reduce or adapter that reduce. Strictly up to you. Aquarium speciality had a ton of colors pvc fittings, pvc fittings online and bulk reef supply have a ton of fittings. BRS has a ton of colored pvc! Supply house is another good resource for fittings and valves! Draw it out on paper! You can use white pvc and acetone will take off the black lettering. I always orefer to use clear primer and cement, unless you are good at the gluing process.

Safe to assume I won't be good at much of this lol. When running a manifold, to power a skimmer or reactor, wouldn't it be possible that the recently exited water from the skimmer or reactor, could travel thru the return pump, and right back into the skimmer and said reactor?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safe to assume I won't be good at much of this lol. When running a manifold, to power a skimmer or reactor, wouldn't it be possible that the recently exited water from the skimmer or reactor, could travel thru the return pump, and right back into the skimmer and said reactor?

Possible yes. Worth worrying about, no...as the amount will be negligible.

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing the Manifold with your return line will depend on how many pieces of equipment you are running off the manifold and how much flow you want returning into your aquarium. For my tank, I am running a GFO/Carbon reactor, Calcium Reactor, Frag Tank, UV Sterilizer and Chiller. I decided to go with a separate pump to power the manifold which returns back to my sump via the chiller. This also enables me to turn off that pump to service equipment, refill the reactors, etc. without turning off the flow to the aquarium. PVC Fittings Online was def the least expensive around.

TigerReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear PVC cleaner, Clear PVC cement.
Sketch out what you want, basic layout, how many valves and so forth. Plan for the future possibilities.
Measure once, twice, three times the charm.
Make a dry fit mock up of the plumbing and see if it fits. Adjust plan as necessary.

My first effort was my current tank. It took me 2 tries to get what I wanted.
I ended up with 3 gate valves 1/2 x 1/2 inch slip fit.
I used reducing Ts 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2.

I used clear silicone tubing from the pump to the manifold.
I put a true union ball valve last so I could shut off back flow and remove the whole thing if needed.

Finished effort was this:

I'm still working on the refugium parts, so one gate valve will be used for that.
The other 2 are for Spyglass reactors, but I don't need to run them right now.
There's a million ways to do this.
Search the intarwebs and you'll get lots of ideas.
What are those cabinet lights you have? Looking for something like that for my reefer

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are those cabinet lights you have? Looking for something like that for my reefer

I was walking through an ACE Hardware in Davis, CA one day searching for something else and just "found" them.
I don't think they carry them anymore.

Maybe try a search on Amazon.

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey do you guys run your manifolds off the return pump that feeds the tank? Or do you run a second pump just for the manifold?

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey do you guys run your manifolds off the return pump that feeds the tank? Or do you run a second pump just for the manifold?

When I ran my manifold I ran it off of the return pump.

Mike Munoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's a question if anybody is still around in this old thread... I'm actually looking for ideas as to what to run off of a manifold. I have a carbon/gfo reactor and was thinking to run it off of a manifold. I won't build one if that's the only thing run off of it. I don't have room for a uv light and my house is air-conditioned so I won't need a chiller. I noticed somebody mentioning for water changes. I really like that idea, but what about cleaning the sand if the water changes are done through the manifold?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for new ideas to run off my manifold. I also want to switch from this hard silicone that goes to my fuge to soft silicone. I would like to figure out if I can hook my green machine up to my manifold as well.

I never used mine for water changes as that would just drain my sump I believe...

I was thinking maybe an algae reactor down the line too.

A4D92DF4-3B86-474A-900E-058BA490FCE3.jpeg

scottyroj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would set one up even if u don't need it now, it would be in place if you ever need it. I ran a little extra pvc for addtions if needed. Don't mind the mess I will do wire management after I get the remiander of my apex mods and power bar, or maybe not.
20160927_102125.jpg

That's a lot of wires to manage. cool setup though! Wish I had space for a massive fish room. Is that a trigger sump?

Back