Detritus in sump

adonis854

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK guys i noticed detritus just sitting at the bottom of my sump next to the skimmer. So I decide to buy a little pump n placed it at bottom of sump to prevent detritus from sinking to bottom ..is this a good idea or should I remove pump n let the detritus sit at bottom n let build up ? Heres a picture to show how its placed in my sump with a red circle around it .. Was also curios to know how high my lights should b from the top of the tank ..I think my lights are around 8 1/2 ?

Snapchat-784414086.jpg

Snapchat-275048247.jpg

Snapchat-1944706215.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea, I always have a small pump in the sump and recently I replace a old mp10 for the new MP10 QD.
Never ever I had detritus in my sump.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's not a bad idea but that detritus will just end up somewhere else if it's not being removed. I've found it easier to let it build in one spot and siphon it out once it builds up. However, if you aren't having nutrient issues, detritus can be great for a pod population.

What kind of lights do you have?

OP
OP
adonis854

adonis854

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea, I always have a small pump in the sump and recently I replace a old mp10 for the new MP10 QD.
Never ever I had detritus in my sump.
Ty for the feedback I was just concerned if I made a dumb move or a logic one

OP
OP
adonis854

adonis854

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a bad idea but that detritus will just end up somewhere else if it's not being removed. I've found it easier to let it build in one spot and siphon it out once it builds up. However, if you aren't having nutrient issues, detritus can be great for a pod population.

I do have a chato to the right n at the bottom of that seems to b more detritus bed....am I suppose to stir that up at the bottom or just let that rock out...and my lighting is a echo tech marine

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It has no chance to build up.
My MP10 is set on a slow constant drive but once every three hours the nutrient mode will kick in for 30 min and most of the detritus is picked up by my M1 Vectra pump on my Lifereef skimmer.
The rest of the detritus will end up in my tank which my corals flourish on.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My MP10 is set on a slow constant drive but once every three hours the nutrient mode will kick in for 30 min and most of the detritus is picked up by my M1 Vectra pump on my Lifereef skimmer.
As I said, "If it's not being removed."

Lots of ways to remove it. Socks, skimmer, manually. Doesn't matter. But if it's not being removed, it will just build somewhere else.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do have a chato to the right n at the bottom of that seems to b more detritus bed....am I suppose to stir that up at the bottom or just let that rock out...and my lighting is a echo tech marine
I wouldn't stir your sand bed in the fuge. Pods will also populate there if nothing is feasting on them.

I've always found LEDs do better if placed higher up. Like 12" or so but you'd have to ask people who specifically run Radions.

OP
OP
adonis854

adonis854

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very interesting..and awesome tank...

OP
OP
adonis854

adonis854

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't stir your sand bed in the fuge. Pods will also populate there if nothing is feasting on them.

I've always found LEDs do better if placed higher up. Like 12" or so but you'd have to ask people who specifically run Radions.
ok cool..is it ok to rotate the green chaeto from time to time.or occasionally..i do see a bunch of critters n worms roaming around the chaeto

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will just build somewhere else.

That's the thing............. with enough flow it just doesn't exist as it will be used up by corals.
In the sump the skimmer will be removing.
Important part of detritus is it's nutrients for corals, bacteria and you your CUC.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very interesting..and awesome tank...

Can I ask you what your nutrient level is in your system?
Po4
No3
If you document it what was it in the last two weeks?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a fair amount of schmutz under my skimmer, that sits on a plexiglass shelf. FYI, this is where a drain enters the sump and passes through a filter sock......and I still get this muck. I thought about putting a pump down there, but actually thought it best to get the stuff out, instead of just putting back into the tank/sump with a pump. So every couple months, during a water change, I pull the skimmer and shelf and suck this stuff out....Gone!

Before

Sump-skimmersection.jpg

After

Sumpskimmersection-clean.jpg

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attached a short hose to the suction side of a MJ 1200 powerhead and use it to suck the detritus out of the sump chambers during maintenance. For small clean ups I use a turkey baster and suck it out.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course if you have a dirty sump you have to clean it first from all that detritus.
Once clean add a pump of some sort and you never need to clean again.
I don't run socks and have the water moved by a pump for about 10 years now I have a white bottom sump and it's still white.
Than again I need all the nutrients I can get back into my tank as if I don't feed for a day my Po4 is undetectable and if no dose of No3 is applied I will drop down to 1ppm or lower in that same day.
Not all tanks are the same of course but putting it back into the system works for me.
Oh did I mention I dose skimmate on weekly schedule too :eek:

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

RFBF I've been doing the same which is not too difficult. My issue is I have a R-200 cube style E-shoppe sump. Sometimes the water flow in my sump is so slow a very thin film forms in my skim chamber. I've always had issues with too clean of a tank and my Zoas especially never thrive. Do you think we are missing benefits by not flushing these nutrients back into the MT so corals eat instead? (and I know some will collect in sand bed)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could only be so lucky as to have too clean a tank.

I think I could sell my used tank water as Nutrient Water to you folks who have this "problem". I never understood these people dosing stump remover. I just can't get there. I do think part of my issue is a Diamond Goby....a mega sandsifter....that moves the sand around in my DT on a daily basis. He'll move an inch deep or more of sand a day, and I'm pretty sure this is just stirring up the detritus in the sand and putting all that nitrates and phosphates into the water. One day I'll have a hill of sand, and the next day it's a valley, and a new hill has cropped up somewhere else.

Bottom line, If I had low nutrient problems, I'd put a small pump below my skimmer.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I could only be so lucky as to have too clean a tank.

I think I could sell my used tank water as Nutrient Water to you folks who have this "problem"

Ha! You probably could and believe me, someone will buy it too. I guess I'll add one just so see if there' any benefit or downside.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back