Devils Armor paly growth rate?

tinadb3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I know that each zoa and paly have its own growth rate because i have several different types and they all have grown at completely different rates. now i'm asking if anyone knows the growth rate for a devils armor??? ive had one polyp for about 3 or 4 months now expecting that it wouldve grown another polyp by now but nothing! the stem has gotten thick and tall but still nothing. all my other zoas are practically exploding in the tank. any ideas??

FLAdaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it doesn't matter what it is. I have had the same zoa or paly on two different spots grow at different rates. It probably has to do with one thing or another that can't be pin pointed. Generally, devil's armor are fast growers. Try feeding them. Avoid direct flow as it can irritate them.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different so in someones tank they might get 3 or 4 polyps a month and in others 1 every few months. Another factor is that some zoas take longer to acclimate to your tank. I've had zoas not grow in 5 or 6 months and then explode to 10 polyps a month. As long as they're alive you're in the plus.
In my tank i get 3 or 4 polyps a month

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the zoa is just now getting thick and tall, it may have been a baby when you got it and it wasn't ready to have its own babies yet. :cool:

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what has already been said. I'd add that in my experience single polyps take longer to grow than groups. I don't know what it is that causes this to be so, but I've seen single polyps (of the same zoa, in the same tank) sit there while a frag with two polyps of the same sprouts babies like crazy.

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what has already been said. I'd add that in my experience single polyps take longer to grow than groups. I don't know what it is that causes this to be so, but I've seen single polyps (of the same zoa, in the same tank) sit there while a frag with two polyps of the same sprouts babies like crazy.

Because it needs a male and a female to produce a baby. Now the single polyp takes longer to have a one because it takes time to collect spermatozoon from the water column. LOL

....just kidding, just kidding! :p :D

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas, being colonial, generally share the same base. This allows the individual polyps to each capture light and food and share it among themselves. With this type of group support, reproduction becomes much easier. This is why small groups reproduce at a much faster rate than single polyps.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas, being colonial, generally share the same base. This allows the individual polyps to each capture light and food and share it among themselves. With this type of group support, reproduction becomes much easier. This is why small groups reproduce at a much faster rate than single polyps.
That's an interesting thought! I wonder if there is any research about that!

OP
OP
T

tinadb3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys! It currently has a little bulge so i believe and i hope its another head! Im so excited so we'll see!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back