DI water filters. That's right no RO

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once read a post about the use of DI only filters. The person was saying that you actually save money by filtering with on a DI chamber vs using a RO prefilter. The only problem is that I lost the thread right after it got started. Has anybody heard of this concept? Below are a few points that I remember.

Reasoning behind this was that you won't be replacing RO filters or producing any waste water.

The only downfall is replacing the DI media, but that can be purchased in bulk.

Any feedback?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have ALOT of DIY guru's in my lcoal club. we have discussed stuff like this many times.

the problem with going to DI only, is that you will use up the DI beeds VERY quickly. and its kind of a pain to replace DI beeds every month or so b/c they get messy. not sure about price, as like you said you can get them in bulk.

and if you are running RO correctly, and have a flushing valve installed, you shouldnt have to replace the RO membrane very often at all. i've heard people going years before replacing their RO membrane.

so the only real advantage i can see from going to DI only, is if your water company is screwing you up the butt for water bills, and you need to do something about the waste water that RO produces.

also, only way i would go to DI only, is with at least like 5 or 6 pre-filter stages in line before it got to the DI.

Shultz

Spiderman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose it depends on the TDS of your water?

Here in the UK & especially were I live the tap water comes out at 647 tds! I have a twin membraned 4 stage RO so I'm producing at a ratio of 2:1 in favor of waste, but pre DI stage the tds is 9 & of course 0 after the DI

Cheers Shelton.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shultz said:
I suppose it depends on the TDS of your water?

Here in the UK & especially were I live the tap water comes out at 647 tds! I have a twin membraned 4 stage RO so I'm producing at a ratio of 2:1 in favor of waste, but pre DI stage the tds is 9 & of course 0 after the DI

Cheers Shelton.

647tds?? yikes!

i've heard of it being quite high in city water. i live in a small community in the mountains. our town water comes out of the tap around 80tds. i know people local to me that use well water and it comes out around 30tds, amazing for well water.

Shultz

Spiderman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surfn said:
647tds?? yikes!

i've heard of it being quite high in city water. i live in a small community in the mountains. our town water comes out of the tap around 80tds. i know people local to me that use well water and it comes out around 30tds, amazing for well water.

BLimely! IIRC you have standards over there that state water isn't allowed to be over 450 tds???

I'd drink water straight out of the tap at 80 tds LOL!

Cheers Shelton.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shultz said:
surfn said:
647tds?? yikes!

BLimely! IIRC you have standards over there that state water isn't allowed to be over 450 tds???

I'd drink water straight out of the tap at 80 tds LOL!

Cheers Shelton.

i have no idea about the standars of the water here in the states. but i imagine there obviously are some.

80tds out of the tap doesnt bother me at all for drinking purposes. the well water around here is mostly from springs in the mountains. which i've heard is very clean. but even if the TDS is low, that just accounts for particles in the water. it could still be contaminated by a chemical technically.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back