Diagnose my Firefish!

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, i'm a total novice. I can usually find something doing google or forum searches but i'm not confident I know the answer here. For your convenience, the context is in italics, or you can skip to the question in Bold.

Context:

I quarantined my firefish (first fish) doing TTM for 12 days. I administered 2 doses of Prazipro (on days 3 and 9), 15 days of paraguard, and going on 2 weeks of observation after all that. The QTs are 10g tanks with a heater and airstone and some pvc elbows. After meds were finished I added a powerhead with filterpad around the intake to reduce the flow (and suck in some muck) and started doing a 20% water change every 3 days. I have rotated 4 different foods and he eats them all (LRS, OVA, New Life Spectrum and PE pellets).

After the paraguard, I noticed he was flashing every once in a while for a couple of days. I haven't seen him do it in 3 or 4 days now though. He may have been irritated because a heater failed the night before the last tank transfer and the temp got down to 68 degrees. Since then, I thought maybe Ammonia got too high, because I got a little bit of smoke in the water, which I read was a bacterial bloom. Seachem and API were only reading 0.05 ammonia, and nitrite was never very high. I dosed prime every two days just to be sure. Maybe that was irritating him. Ammonia and Nitrite are now reading 0.

My questions:

Mostly I want to ask about the tilt he seems to have. He leans about 5 to 10 degrees to one side most of the time. Is this just something firefish do or is something wrong with him. I've seen swim bladder disease in my goldfish but they were way more off balance.

Also, how fast do firefish normally breathe? His breathing doesn't look exaggerated or labored to me, but it is pretty fast, maybe a little faster than a breath a second. I just don't know what normal is because he mostly hid if I got within 10 ft of the tank the first couple of weeks. I can't find a clear enough video of a healthy one online to compare.

I made a 1 min video if it would help. His tilt can be seen towards the end, and his breathing throughout the other 50 seconds.

Thanks!
Chance

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rython

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I really like all 3 types of firefish, it basically came down to my wife's preference to chose between them. :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a perfectly healthy and normal fire fish. Beautiful.... I'm partial to the purple and helfrichi myself.

^^ Agree. Just remember to use a secure lid (with netting sewn under it) to prevent the little fella from jumping out.

OP
OP
Rython

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Agree. Just remember to use a secure lid (with netting sewn under it) to prevent the little fella from jumping out.
I read they have a proclivity for carpet surfing, so I already have that covered (see what I did there?). :) I appreciate the second and third opinion on the firefish, I just wanted to make sure absolutely nothing is wrong before I moved him over.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back