Diamond goby missing?

OhCheezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got him yesterday and he was doing well and being active, sifting thru the sand, making burrows all over the tank. Then in the evening he jumped out (fell about 6 feet onto marble flooring) when the lights turned off and thankfully I found him and put him back in. He was probably out of the water 2 mins max. I watched him for about half an hour and he seemed a bit disoriented, but fine. He sifted thru the sand a couple more times around the tank and then I went to bed thinking he was okay. Today, he is nowhere to be found. I checked the floor and behind the tank just to be sure. Is it possible he died under the rocks or is he just hiding? How do I feed him if he won't come out?

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got him yesterday and he was doing well and being active, sifting thru the sand, making burrows all over the tank. Then in the evening he jumped out (fell about 6 feet onto marble flooring) when the lights turned off and thankfully I found him and put him back in. He was probably out of the water 2 mins max. I watched him for about half an hour and he seemed a bit disoriented, but fine. He sifted thru the sand a couple more times around the tank and then I went to bed thinking he was okay. Today, he is nowhere to be found. I checked the floor and behind the tank just to be sure. Is it possible he died under the rocks or is he just hiding? How do I feed him if he won't come out?
Do you by any chance have cats? Asking because I had a lawnmower blenny and I guess it jumped out because I never found his body so I'm guessing my cats ate him. So that's a theory.
Also he could possibly just be hiding under the rocks, my goby is right now in QT. I thought he got out but I saw him yesterday when I fed them.
And if he is hiding and you can't see him eat then I wouldn't worry too much for a few days. Mine went four days without eating and he was fine. Also he could eat and you won't see it. Just watch out for him and check in the rocks and see if you can spot him. If not and you get really worried, you might have to move the rocks a bit and see if he's in there.
But I know you don't want to hear it but if he jumped out once he probably jumped out again.. but hopefully I'm wrong! I've had a purple fire fish some how jump into a HOB filter and I thought he jumped out of the tank and my cats got him but nope he was in there for one month just chilling and healthy as could be. I have no idea how he lived in there for that long but he did lol.
Hopefully you find him! Just keep us updated.

OP
OP
O

OhCheezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you by any chance have cats? Asking because I had a lawnmower blenny and I guess it jumped out because I never found his body so I'm guessing my cats ate him. So that's a theory.
Also he could possibly just be hiding under the rocks, my goby is right now in QT. I thought he got out but I saw him yesterday when I fed them.
And if he is hiding and you can't see him eat then I wouldn't worry too much for a few days. Mine went four days without eating and he was fine. Also he could eat and you won't see it. Just watch out for him and check in the rocks and see if you can spot him. If not and you get really worried, you might have to move the rocks a bit and see if he's in there.
But I know you don't want to hear it but if he jumped out once he probably jumped out again.. but hopefully I'm wrong! I've had a purple fire fish some how jump into a HOB filter and I thought he jumped out of the tank and my cats got him but nope he was in there for one month just chilling and healthy as could be. I have no idea how he lived in there for that long but he did lol.
Hopefully you find him! Just keep us updated.
No cats or dogs in the house, still no sign of him yet T_T

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No cats or dogs in the house, still no sign of him yet T_T
Oh I'm sorry.. well at this point you can still only wait and see but like I said if you are really worried your only option may have to be to move the rocks a bit and see if you can find he alive or dead.. but I hope he's ok..:(

CHELEY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I️ bought one last week and thought he was eaten or jumped out. I️ bought another the other day and the one I️ thought was dead is in the tank.... and freaking out. He is sitting on the wave maker and acting strange. The other is doing great. Not sure what to do

CHELEY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why all of the question marks are in my last post?? Please ignore

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why all of the question marks are in my last post?? Please ignore
iPhone glitch.

Op, sometimes they jump and travel great distances. Especially a stressed goby that just fell on the floor, it’s likely to leap again. I find “potato chip fish” sometimes days after they jumped :(. Mesh lids and canopies for me!

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added fish and never seen them again. I have also added fish and thought they must be dead and then seen them a couple weeks later. Diamond Goby jump when scared. My last one jumped out twice the day I got him. He didn't make it. I am going to try again as they are cool fish. I will just cover the tank for the first week or two next time.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond gobies are quite secretive. I've had one in my tank for 5 years and I can go weeks without seeing it. Apparently it's getting enough to eat because body weight is good. When a new fish 'disappears' it's generally not a good sign. Surprising to the novice how quickly and completely a dead fish gets reduced in a reef tank.

CHELEY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I bought another one and the one that was missing magically appeared! Unfortunately he didn’t make it. He was too stressed and spent 2 weeks trying to escape. I tried to return him because I felt bad for it, but LFS. Said to give it time.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back