Diatom filter for treating external parasites?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't get to far into this discussion and I am very familiar with Burgess studies as I was reading about them when he was doing them. Ich is the easiest thing to eliminate and I really don't know why so much is written about it. Just as much as 40 years ago as we have not progressed at all. I often buy ich infected fish if I can get them cheap and treat them in copper while using a diatom filter. In a couple of days they are good to go.
I also realize just about everyone will disagree with me so I will leave now and let you get on with this discussion. Have a great day.
Paul
PS my fish are also immune. Sorry :eek:

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've promised this before, but once I clear some space I'm gonna setup a 29 gal (or maybe a 40 breeder) and use a diatom filter on it. Start dropping fish with ich & velvet in there and just see what happens. I'll document all my progress in this thread. I know it's not a scientific experiment by any means, but for me seeing is believing.

@robert Which of the diatom filters listed below would you suggest for either a 29 or 40 gal:

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-D-1-Diatom-Filter/dp/B0002602SW

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-XL-Diatom-Filter/dp/B0002602T6

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw. I am using a nu clear cannister on my tank and I charge it with about 16 oz of diatom powder. Works well and has a pressure gauge and is clear so you can see when you need to recharge. Not that bad to clean.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start dropping fish with ich & velvet in there and just see what happens. I'll document all my progress in this thread. I know it's not a scientific experiment by any means, but for me seeing is believing.

Humblefish, you don't have to do that. I already have been doing that for 40 years and have already documented my progress. :eek:

See any ich in there? Look closer!!!!! :rolleyes:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true, you need to feed them correctly and that means dry foods are a no no. You need the live bacteria in live foods. If you don't feed correctly we will always have these silly ich threads. The immune system in a fish is directly controlled by the bacteria in their gut. But what do I know? :cool:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've promised this before, but once I clear some space I'm gonna setup a 29 gal (or maybe a 40 breeder) and use a diatom filter on it. Start dropping fish with ich & velvet in there and just see what happens. I'll document all my progress in this thread. I know it's not a scientific experiment by any means, but for me seeing is believing.

@robert Which of the diatom filters listed below would you suggest for either a 29 or 40 gal:

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-D-1-Diatom-Filter/dp/B0002602SW

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-XL-Diatom-Filter/dp/B0002602T6

Definitely tuning in for that. Would even help you fund the experiment if that helped. I have a crazy strain that is difficult to can. Could be that cupramine is trash, not sure.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish, you don't have to do that. I already have been doing that for 40 years and have already documented my progress. :eek:

See any ich in there? Look closer!!!!! :rolleyes:
I see ich! Bottom left corner shaped like a wrasse!!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run my diatom filter maybe once a year for a couple of hours. I don't do it for parasites because my fish are immune, I just run it to clean my gravel because I have a reverse undergravel filter and it requires that maintenance which is why it lasted so long.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely tuning in for that. Would even help you fund the experiment if that helped. I have a crazy strain that is difficult to can. Could be that cupramine is trash, not sure.

Help me find someone who will buy this tank, so I can clear some room :D: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/150-acrylic-for-sale.229763/

That's the corner I need to conduct the experiment. I have everything I need, just bought two 40 breeders for only $50. ;) Just need to buy a diatom filter.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You a part of any local saltwater or reef hobbyist Facebook groups? That's where I sell everything these days!

Yeah, 2 local clubs and 2 FB groups, plus craigslist. Probably just gonna have to put it in storage for another day.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, 2 local clubs and 2 FB groups, plus craigslist. Probably just gonna have to put it in storage for another day.

If I had the cash I'd buy it. You can put it in storage and keep it listed at the same time. No real reason to abandon trying to sell it, unless you secretly want to keep it for another reef later on ;) *whispers* I wont tell anybody that part lol

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had the cash I'd buy it. You can put it in storage and keep it listed at the same time. No real reason to abandon trying to sell it, unless you secretly want to keep it for another reef later on ;) *whispers* I wont tell anybody that part lol
Story of my life!

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to jump into this discussion. I am entering my 15th year of saltwater. I got back into this hobby 5 years ago after a twenty year hiatus. I used a diatom filter on my reef tank in the early `90s. Back then I had better than average results keeping multiple fish over five years and breeding Clown fish in 1992. When I got back in, I made sure I purchased a DF. I am a full believer in boosting a fishes immunity through its diet, although I disagree with Paul B on the details. All dry fish food contains fish meal with all nutrients removed for sale to humans and farm animals, or the waste and dead fish from fish farming and terrestrial plants which marine fish have never eaten in the wild. This can be done because of the lack of regulations in the pet food industry. Three years ago was the last time I lost a fish to disease. Since then using a combination of fresh food, UV, and a diatom filter, my fish have been disease free. I do QT, but not to the level advocated by most. Two weeks of eating fresh and live foods in an observation tank which is kept running 24/7 with fish in it. I have not yet had to use medication of any kind. If ich appears, I start the diatom and run it through a 25W Aqua Ultraviolet sterilizer. I have a 50G reef, 120G reef, 120G FOWLR, 29G Seahorse tank, and the 20G QT. There are 34 fish in the tanks including the Seahorses. I did lose some fish in Oct due to a power failure. This means in the last three years, I have purchased over 40 fish in 5 tanks with zero loss of disease. A couple of months ago I had to remove two fish from my 120G reef and into the FOWLR because they were getting too big. Using a home made fish trap, I was able to do this without too much trouble. However, my Purple Tang got all worked up like Tangs do and within a week had a few spots on him. Out came the diatom and UV and within 3 weeks they were gone. Please do not say it is luck. Good water quality, husbandry, and diet can go a long way.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back