Diatoms not going away.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinoflagellates is probably what you have not diatoms.

This right here opens up the question "what truly is it" and time for a microscope to step in.
There are hundreds of different forms of diatoms. There are a few thousand species of dinoflagellates. Dino's do not have to look like "snot" as that is a particular species.

Reef_Collector28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be the RO, but try to syphon as much as possible because it's extremely hard in some cases to get rid of diatoms. If it's a newer tank then be patient because from one day to the next it will disappear. Also if you can do a couple of days of lights out after you syphon, add a power head or more flow

OP
OP
C

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be the RO, but try to syphon as much as possible because it's extremely hard in some cases to get rid of diatoms. If it's a newer tank then be patient because from one day to the next it will disappear. Also if you can do a couple of days of lights out after you syphon, add a power head or more flow
The tank is two and a half years old and this has been going on for a good six months. I'm doing lights out now. But I have tried it once all ready and it came right back.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodi water reads 0 for silicates.
So much for an easy solution. :(

At least you an rule that out and move on. Maybe take some substrate and put it in a container with fresh mixed saltwater for a week and testing for silicates?

OP
OP
C

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much for an easy solution. :(

At least you an rule that out and move on. Maybe take some substrate and put it in a container with fresh mixed saltwater for a week and testing for silicates?
Didn't think about that. I will give it a try. I guess the good thing is everything in the tank seems happy the sand just looks bad.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its very frustrating.

You got that right! Check this out! On/off for the last 2 plus years!
IMG_0912.JPG

OP
OP
C

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got that right! Check this out! On/off for the last 2 plus years!
IMG_0912.JPG
My lights have been out for three days. Today I turned them on for about a hour to feed the fish and in that short amount of time the sand was already starting to turn brown. This stuff is very hardy.

Tofty85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided I'm going to give h202 dosing a try for 5 days, I'm doubting that it's diatoms I have, due to what I've tried and the fact that i had Dino's before this, which I thought I got rid of, but now I'm thinking they didn't go anywhere, they just appeared as a different strain on my new sand bed which look like diatoms

blasto_master

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided I'm going to give h202 dosing a try for 5 days, I'm doubting that it's diatoms I have, due to what I've tried and the fact that i had Dino's before this, which I thought I got rid of, but now I'm thinking they didn't go anywhere, they just appeared as a different strain on my new sand bed which look like diatoms

DinoX works great FYI.[emoji6]

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I tried H2O2 for 2wks. Hope it works for you, it didn't for me.

Tofty85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried H2O2 for 2wks. Hope it works for you, it didn't for me.

I already know it doesn't work for diatoms, but if I mine turns out to be Dino's then there's a possibility it will work, if it doesn't do anything then I would be tempted to try baker's yeast, I have read mixed results on yeast

OP
OP
C

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already know it doesn't work for diatoms, but if I mine turns out to be Dino's then there's a possibility it will work, if it doesn't do anything then I would be tempted to try baker's yeast, I have read mixed results on yeast
Can you post a pic?

erinmegan85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had something similar going on and I just now have gotten it under control, or at least I think. I had to switch my lights to more blues than whites and I've also been dosing vibrant. Just put the fourth dose in yesterday and the brown nastiness is now 99.9% gone. Tried black outs, that didn't work. H2O2 pretty much demolished my frogspawn and wasn't really working anyways, so I gave up. I was to the point where I was about to break down the tank and start over, but this seems to be working.

OP
OP
C

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had something similar going on and I just now have gotten it under control, or at least I think. I had to switch my lights to more blues than whites and I've also been dosing vibrant. Just put the fourth dose in yesterday and the brown nastiness is now 99.9% gone. Tried black outs, that didn't work. H2O2 pretty much demolished my frogspawn and wasn't really working anyways, so I gave up. I was to the point where I was about to break down the tank and start over, but this seems to be working.
Now that I think about it mine started after switching to LEDs. I'm going to just turn the blues on in the morning and see what happens.

erinmegan85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which LEDs do you have? I have a Hydra 52 HD and I went in and turned it to the 20K setting. Turn down the whites, greens and reds. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back