Did a bad thing. Please QT your fish. Med help

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I recommend going to Lowes or Home Depot and getting a collection of PVC fittings? Having these cave like shelters will help reduce the stress on the fish while they are in QT.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to see this. :( But you gotta soldier on and focus on the fish still alive in QT. How are they doing? Are they all eating?

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually should have some fittings left over. I'll put them in when I get home from work

Just about everyone looks ok and is eating. I just don't trust these heaters and filters. And it's in my garage so worried it may heat up. I put some fans on them too

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have kanaplex and bifuran. I should add with the copper? Which is better, I have both on hand

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have kanaplex and bifuran. I should add with the copper? Which is better, I have both on hand

Unless you are seeing signs of infection, I would not add antibiotics.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks. I dont see any. I do see the marks were the parasites were latched on in the darker fish but doesn't seem infected. I have a copper test kit coming tomorrow but for now they are in the recommended dose of 5 ml per 4 gal of the coppersafe

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks. I dont see any. I do see the marks were the parasites were latched on in the darker fish but doesn't seem infected. I have a copper test kit coming tomorrow but for now they are in the recommended dose of 5 ml per 4 gal of the coppersafe

I know you got off to a rocky start, but it sounds like you are doing what you can for now. Keep the Kanaplex and Bifuran handy just in case you start seeing any weird red marks on any of the fish.

And do keep a very close eye on that ammonia!

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ammonia alerts coming tomorrow. So God for bid ammonia rises do I prime the tank or just major water change? I used existing water and some bio cubes in each tank to hopefully avoid a cycle but who knows

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ammonia alerts coming tomorrow. So God for bid ammonia rises do I prime the tank or just major water change? I used existing water and some bio cubes in each tank to hopefully avoid a cycle but who knows
You cannot use Prime in conjunction with copper. It will amplify the toxic impact of the copper and potentially kill the fish. I use Biospira to seed my QT filter with bacteria when I set it up and that works very well for me. Otherwise you will need to rely on water changes.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool. I have dr tins coming from Amazon Monday to have just in case. I have stability at the house which is similar to biospira I think

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool. I have dr tins coming from Amazon Monday to have just in case. I have stability at the house which is similar to biospira I think
Dr Tims is similar to Biospira. In fact, Dr Tim invented Biospira. These are both live, active bacteria products and work quickly. I only tend to use Biospira because I can buy it locally but I would say that Dr Tims One and Only is the superior product.

Stability is bacteria in a cyst form. This allows it to survive higher and lower temperatures and gives it a much longer shelf life, but it takes longer to work.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider adding some stability to each tank now. Best to use it before you see ammonia. It will give you a little more assurance if you didn't bring enough bacteria in with the media you transferred.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yup tested when I got home. Pretty good amounts of ammonia. When will this end. I have no idea what to do. I'll get some dr tims tomorrow, did a 15% water change on each tank..

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have anything porous and bacteria filled you could add? Sponges or anything from your main tank. I would say sacrifice some of the liverock but I think that can mess with the copper concentration so I'll leave that for the experts.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a little rock in each tank and some marinepure biocubes when I set it up. I probably did the wrong thing again but added some stuff from the skimmer cup to the filters right after the water change and some stability

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marinepure balls or plates strike me as the perfect thing if you have a bunch in your sump... Easily replaceable and designed to harbor bacteria. Not sure if they'd interact with the meds though.

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did a 15% water change on each tank..

You did just the right thing. Water changes are your friend right now. When the bacteria arrives soak your biomedia in a bowl with the entire bottle of biospira. Let them soak for an hour before using them. This allows the bacteria time to settle on the media. Pour all the contents of the bowl into the filter along with the media. This and water changes for the first two weeks or so will help.

Some one correct me if I am wrong but prime should help reduce to toxicity in the ammonia. But I don't know if it affect medication

Prime and other ammonia reducers will cause Copper to become toxic and kill the fish. They cannot be mixed safely.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some one correct me if I am wrong but prime should help reduce to toxicity in the ammonia. But I don't know if it affect medication

It converts ammonia into a non-toxic form. However, it also interacts negatively with copper and other meds.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a little rock in each tank and some marinepure biocubes when I set it up. I probably did the wrong thing again but added some stuff from the skimmer cup to the filters right after the water change and some stability
Yeah, unfortunately this is probably the wrong thing and is contributing to your ammonia. Very little bacteria is in the water and most of the skimmer scum is organic in nature that will break down into ammonia. Nitrifying bacteria thrives and clings to hard surfaces which is what makes porous live rock work so well as a filter. You can't even scrub the bacteria off it clings so tightly.

Adding the stability should help in the long run, so that is a good thing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back