Did I burn out my new return pump? (Newbie Just started first reef)

Glenn503

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home from work to find the controller to my Reef Octopus 5500 DC return pump had fallen off the Velcro, became unplugged and landed on top of my Tunze ATO eye sensor and float. The sump was filled to top with water, and the display tank water level is below the overflow.

I plugged the controller back into the pump and I can't get the pump going. The controller did get a little wet. The tank has been cycling for 2 weeks, and this happens.

Any ideas or suggestions, or do I have to buy a new controller or worse yet and whole new 5500DC pump?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a hair dryer out and dry it up asap
The pump itself will be fine so it would just be your controller

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is the controller is bad after getting wet. Pump was submerged yet it sounds so shouldn't have burned up. Plugging in controller when wet inside probably fried it.

OP
OP
Glenn503

Glenn503

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try the hair dryer idea first, I guess I can just buy a new controller if that doesn't work

Thank you for quick replies.

Glenn

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks man! Its why when I got started I bought equipment that wasn't upper echelon so I could make 50$ mistakes instead of a couple 100$ mistakes lol.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's poor idea on the company's imho they send the Velcro to use yet know a lot of them are inside stands with high humidity. I've had same problem with controllers falling with velcro. I now screw mount everything. Hopefully the hairdryer works for you and get it up and running soon.

OP
OP
Glenn503

Glenn503

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks man! Its why when I got started I bought equipment that wasn't upper echelon so I could make 50$ mistakes instead of a couple 100$ mistakes lol.

I figured I'd go with some nice equipment so I didn't have to upgrade down the road and do it right the first time. That backfired on me lol

On the bright side, I probably just have to order a new controller, the hair dryer didn't work.

Glenn

OP
OP
Glenn503

Glenn503

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's poor idea on the company's imho they send the Velcro to use yet know a lot of them are inside stands with high humidity. I've had same problem with controllers falling with velcro. I now screw mount everything. Hopefully the hairdryer works for you and get it up and running soon.

Lesson learned, the hard way!

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure you can blame it on the company. Just because most people mount electronics INSIDE their stand, does not mean all companies expect it or even suggest it.

TBH, I no longer keep any plugs or electronic equip under the tank or in the stand. Too much possible corrosion, high humidity(with salt), and potential for disaster. In reality, all plugs, power strips, and electrical connections should be outside of this highly corrosive environment or in an enclosed/separate area.

Ive had a few close calls myself and also seen a few power strips and screws rust, just from being in the cabinet.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure you can blame it on the company. Just because most people mount electronics INSIDE their stand, does not mean all companies expect it or even suggest it.

TBH, I no longer keep any plugs or electronic equip under the tank or in the stand. Too much possible corrosion, high humidity(with salt), and potential for disaster. In reality, all plugs, power strips, and electrical connections should be outside of this highly corrosive environment or in an enclosed/separate area.

Ive had a few close calls myself and also seen a few power strips and screws rust, just from being in the cabinet.
I agree that it's a learning experience most go through and outside of stand is best. Yet I have never seen a word of advice to this in anyone's paperwork with the equipment and imho I feel it should be there for a word of caution to consumers especially new hobbyist.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wow really? Try putting in rite for a little i dropped my galaxy in my tank 3 times last month and rice acually worked but im pretty sure overtime the salts going to get to it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back