Did I make a mistake? Pseudochromis fridmani

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a pseudochromis fridmani yesterday, and all I have read since is that they are very aggressive. My friend had one a few years ago and said it was agressive, but that it didn't kill anything. The LFS told me this one should be less aggressive, because it is tank raised. I watched it for about an hour at the store, and it did not bother the other 2 clowns that were with it in the 29 gallon cube. Since bringing it home it has been mostly reclusive only coming out to eat, which I don't mind as long as it doesn't start to attack my other fish, or new fish that I add. I know that the only thing I can do now is watch and wait and hope it doesn't become aggressive. Has anyone had good luck with these? It is in a 60 gallon cube with potters wrasse, mccoskers flasher wrasse, cleaner wrasse, and true perc. I plan on adding gobies and blennies, and possibly a purple fire fish.
Thanks

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one and it was fine until I added fish after it then it became a huge pain and I had to get rid of it.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a magenta dottyback which is of the psudochromis species and it was very aggressive. it killed our 2+ year old chromis and had our black blenny looking ragid and stressed. it also chased our yellow corris wrase and green clown goby. only 2 fish it didnt mess with was our blue lopezi tang and perc clown.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one a few years back and had to tear down half my tank to get it out. It terrorized my huge sleeper goby until it jumped out of the tank. My goby couldn't sift through the sand or even come out from under his rock for more than 10 secs or else the psudo would be all over him.

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you already have it in your tank, look at things positively and maybe it will be just fine. I do think that tank raised fish tend to be less aggressive.

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never put a dottyback in my tank again. It killed all my new additions into the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple pseudo in a 10 gallon and just added a red spot blenny. The blenny took refuge in the same area as the pseudo, and there has been no aggression at all. I think fish get a reputation for a reason, but they all have their own distinct personalities. Usually what I find is if they show none now, it it later down the road and over time as they age, that they can become more aggressive....good luck

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that killed a really cool chromis that I have never seen bofore or again (to buy). I had to tear tank down to get it out.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting that other posters are offering experience with dottyback's other than the one OP is inquiring about. Psuedo's really shouldn't be all lumped together as they are know to and do have different levels of aggression. Also, a lot of it has to do with the individual personality of the fish.
The Fridmani is known to be more peaceful than others. Of the two that I have owned, the first one was added as the last fish and was very peaceful never harassing anyone. The second one was added as one of the first fish, which I believe was a mistake as it became very territorial but never to the point of actually causing harm. It did however "upset" the peaceful balance. IMO because your's has been added last, I think the chances are good you will be fine. Keep them well fed and with good water quality and hope for the best.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments. I am thinking that I might buy the other fish that I am thinking of adding now, so that the pseudo doesn't have time to establish itself. I just need to find the money to pay for them :). So far it has just spent time under a rock and in a hole it has claimed, showing no interest in the other finish. Obviously it is still acclimating, but hopefully things will work out. It is a very beautiful fish, and I would sure hate to have to get rid of it.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take a fish out for a while, and at a later date reintroduce it to the tank, and it may no longer be aggressive to its' previous tank mates.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: The orchid dotty back that I have is very calm tempered, in fact I would say that he gets chased around more than he chases other fish. Of the dottybacks I think that the orchid dottyback is a great fish that should not be feared. Then again there are those who report otherwise, but I have added a small tailspot blenny that took up residents near the dottyback, and they get along better than my mckoskers does with the tailspot.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fridmani in my 150g reef. Doesn't bother anyone, even small fish like gobies and a royal gramma even.

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had an ORA tank raised Fridmani and i loved him... he was such a baby he was murdered by my 6 line and the neon dottyback was also killed. i have to agree with not lumping them all together some of the pseudochromis family are very aggressive and others not so much. one thing you must keep in mind is that they are actually in the grouper family(the dottybacks). thats where they get their attitude from, however my ORAs were too nice, i had also figured with all that i had read that they wiould probably tear my 6 line up unfortunately the 12$ fish killed the 40$ & 50$ fish.:crossedlips:

mikezalewski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that one of the things that you have to look at is putting new fish in after this fish is in the tank! I have had fish that were supposed to be not aggressive at all untill I put a new fish into the tank then that nice little fish started going after the new fish like he was moving food! I did not understand but all I could do was watch and hope. There is something and that is the rock work. I have heard that if you are worried about it and the most fish become aggressive because they are moving in on their terrorty and that moving all or most of the rock work around can help solve this issue. good luck!

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mikezalewski is dead on with the rock work issue, i have had some agression issues befor with a fire fish and 2 clown gobies, i added a 4-5lb piece of balil live rock and swithced a couple rocks around and it confused all the fish and they set new boundaries on their own and everyone is at peace now

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mikezalewski is dead on with the rock work issue, i have had some agression issues befor with a fire fish and 2 clown gobies, i added a 4-5lb piece of balil live rock and swithced a couple rocks around and it confused all the fish and they set new boundaries on their own and everyone is at peace now
WOW! good to know. If I ever have problems with him or another fish Ill give that idea a try. I think this orchid dottyback will just continue to be chill, at least I hope so :)

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yah a buddy of mine who kind of sparked me into the whole reef tank thing told me that little trick, i really didnt think it would work but to my suprise IT DID!! good luck with everything

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back