Difficult and Special Care Species List

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone else said it would be a good idea to keep it alone, kinda like a quarantine. But if you do not agree i will look into going straight to the tank.

Would the diamond goby eat pods or just happen to get a few when he is sifting the sand?
The diamond goby is eating the biofauna in the substrate, of which pods are part of that.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i would have to decide one or the other? Or does it mean more effort to bring the system up to pair for both of them.

Just noticed we are in two threads right now, if you don't mind we can just combined the convo to mine.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/stocking-60-gallon-cube.214046/#post-2452001
There are very few things set in stone in reef tanks, so it is possible it could work out, but if it were me, I wouldn't have them both. I would get rid of the diamond goby in order to have better success with the mandarin.

Dastins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to care for but when you get it right it's worth it..

20160213_175046.jpg

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a copper banded butterfly fish today 2/15. He ate well at LFS before I bought him home. Acclimation in 3 stages lasted 50 minutes He's been in my DT tank by himself for 3 hrs. now and seems to being cautious while he get's use to his surroundings by his observed movements. I have LRS reef frenzy , maybe some mysiis that I haven't used in awhile (cubed type pack), Flake and small pellets for food.

Any recommendations how to proceed from here please? food introduction etc.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for 5 years that ate tetra bits. He and I didn't know any better.
I saw a freshwater version. Is it "tetra bits complete" that you are referring too? I use sera marin granulars-staple diet for my other SW fish.(clown,tang,small angel(for now) and small wrassee.

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in salt water in the 80. The food was somewhat limited then. Tetra Bits were the red crumbles that were so popular then. The CBB was my 2nd fish after the domino damsel from hell.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a copper banded butterfly fish today 2/15. He ate well at LFS before I bought him home. Acclimation in 3 stages lasted 50 minutes He's been in my DT tank by himself for 3 hrs. now and seems to being cautious while he get's use to his surroundings by his observed movements. I have LRS reef frenzy , maybe some mysiis that I haven't used in awhile (cubed type pack), Flake and small pellets for food.

Any recommendations how to proceed from here please? food introduction etc.

I placed mine after meds in a 40g breeder QT tank that is rich in pods and algae for 6 weeks before bringing the little guy into my office tank. He hunts for pods here also but has no problem eating everything in site, except Aptasia! I added those to the QT tank and they are still there.
The first picture is my original CBB that I had for 13 years that passed last week, he ate aptasia and I never had any in the tank he was in. The second picture is my new CBB in my office tank

wesamazmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to keep a Cleaner wrasse and 1 month max

But I have succeeded with this guy. its not hard to keep the Leopard wrasse, is it the same you mentioned in your post

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lyretail anthias, Bicolor Angels and Bristle tooth tangs (tommi and kole) are have been bullet proof. not only ich resistant, but also very hardy eaters and very long lived...even after a few tank disasters. Same for my pair of Bangi Cardinals. Although it is true that a bristle tooth will some times just randomly die....even when eating well and with no signs if illness. (but when this has happened they have always been at least 2 or 3 years old ((or older depending on the age they were when I got them)).

The Bi-color will eat your acans in short order.

I always keep at least 1 rabbit fish. My two barred was especially a good fish...he would eat out of my hand and got huge (had to sell him because at the time only had a 90g). I have found them to be pretty much bullet proof. (never actually had one die, same thing for my bicolor angel...over 5 years old, been through a lot.....keeps going like an energizer, the lyretail had been through everything the others had...died last week was 5 or 6 years old (could have been older depending on how old it was when I got her).

And my tank raised ocellaris clowns are as mean as any maroon I have ever seen (and huge)...one killed a tang in a few weeks, another actually jumped completely out of my tank while attacking my wife (it was...hilarious). They have take over a 90g and the only thing they will allow to live in there is the bicolor angel I mentioned above. I have never had a tank raised clown die once it got over about 2 inches in size either (but the older they get the meaner they get). I have also seen maroon clowns just go after and try to kill anything and everything.

My Blue throat Trigger (which are supposed to be model citizens and lives in a tank with 3 baby clowns, 4 chromis, a bicolor blenny and an orchid dotty back...immediately killed 3 anthias as soon as they were added). He also will nip at clams if hungry. I have seen them put clown tangs in bad shape in short order!

Also, you might want to add carpet surfers to the list....firefish might be easy (who knows?), ive never been able to keep them in a tank long enough to know...even with a canopy on board.

To date most bullet proof fish: (fish that I basically always had to just sell because they got too big but rarely died).
Rabit fish, Yellow tangs, Hippo Tangs, Clowns, Bristle tooth tangs, my blue thoat went missing and for weeks I though the was dead...found him in the over flow...didn't look like he had lost an oz, so that seems positive. Yellow tail damsels are very hardy and the one I had was not mean at all.

Last edited:

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say, I'm not sure I agree with all of the fish in this thread. I've seen plenty of moorish Idols live in captivity, for one. We keep butterfly fish here at the University and they do great. I've personally owned a leopard wrasse who died from old age. All tangs are particularly prone to ich, but i wouldn't say "don't get them" for that reason. We've also got Twin spot gobies here and they are thriving. our hawk fish and anthias are hearty as long as they're fed. I suppose I'm asking this...What are you basing these recomendations on?

How do you keep the twin spots?!! I wanted to get a pair but I'm a bit nervous!! details pls!!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep the twin spots?!! I wanted to get a pair but I'm a bit nervous!! details pls!!
Twin spot gobies need an established tank of 50+gallons. They usually won't eat what you as an aquarist will feed, but rather rely on the microfauna in the tank.

Pat Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome right up. I have two on the list cleaner and leopard wrasse got really lucky as the both eat everything. I do go the the coast as it's ten minutes from my house and collect amhipods every so often just so the leopard has some food to hunt. Got them both when I was still new to the hobby but would not buy again just because of the mortality rate being so high.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back