Difficulty of building a stand

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a scale of 1-10, how hard do you think it would be to build a tank stand for say a 65 gallon tank (36 7/8 x 19 x 24 5/8)? I'm definitely no pro carpenter or anything like that but I'd consider myself pretty handy and able to learn. That being said, I'm definitely a beginner when it comes to building stuff with wood. Thanks in advance!

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used tongue and groove to skin mine.
image.jpg

I was going to make use doors at first, but a later decided to have two front panels with magnets that are removable.
image.jpg

There's a lot of threads and good ideas out there :)

Jolly Roger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DIY King produces excellent videos to show you how to save money and it really isn't hard at all to build a stand stronger than the cheap ones that tanks usually come with. Skinning and putting doors on isn't too difficult as long as you have the right tools to make it easier. The one thing I can't stress most is to plan out how you want it to be structurally and how you want it to look. After realizing some changes half way through my DIY stand, I scrapped a part of it and had to redesign on the fly...

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oops sorry lol he does the skinning in the last video of that series first he does a video for the stand then one for the canopy then one for the skinning...

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your skill level, how handy you are, how mechanically inclined you are, do you enjoy DIY stuff? In my opinion as long as you enjoy spending the time working on stuff like this and are patient, nothing is hard. Take your time and have fun with it.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of his videos are really painful to watch. use 3/4" plywood only and don't worry about skinning.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys mean get quality wood for the outside of the stand? And use regular 2x4's for the frame of the tank?

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, build the whole thing out of quality plywood only. skip the 2x4s altogether. they warp, take up space inside the stand and look ugly.

Do you guys mean get quality wood for the outside of the stand? And use regular 2x4's for the frame of the tank?

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, build the whole thing out of quality plywood only. skip the 2x4s altogether. they warp, take up space inside the stand and look ugly.
How do you build the stand without 2x4's? That was something I was worried about though was that they were going to take up too much space inside.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocket hole screws, wood glue and accurately cut panels.

IMAG0243_zpsfacu5orm.jpg

How do you build the stand without 2x4's? That was something I was worried about though was that they were going to take up too much space inside.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I don't. I started woodworking over 11 years ago and learned through trial and error.

Are there any videos you suggest to build a stand the way you did?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be the same as building any cabinet using a product such as the kreg tool jig system. Don't you sit up all night watching infomercials!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back