Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still on the wait and see. What I don't understand is why some startup/nobody company have some product no major main player have.

And that is no disrespect. But how come seachem, tmc, reef flowers etc don't have the same....

Still id say 2 3rds success rate so far with it.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And that is no disrespect. But how come seachem, tmc, reef flowers etc don't have the same....

Don't spill your drink if you see a headline "Seachem acquires UWC for an undisclosed $$$$!" :) Unfortunately most growth these days is through acquisition, not research. But now we are diverging, so I will stop.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol so true.

I guess it's just too good to be true. You know there's been a lot of heartache over this crap. People have left the hobby. Lost hundreds of dollars/pounds groan very tired and saddened. Only ever to be told "there is no single cure no magic bullet". I tried a platinum plated shells via a mini gun and no result let alone magic bullets.

Still it's really positive. Do post you pics though.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol so true.

I guess it's just too good to be true. You know there's been a lot of heartache over this crap. People have left the hobby. Lost hundreds of dollars/pounds groan very tired and saddened. Only ever to be told "there is no single cure no magic bullet". I tried a platinum plated shells via a mini gun and no result let alone magic bullets.

Still it's really positive. Do post you pics though.

Paul already posted, check Vibrant thread.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to kill dinos off of a coral so if you were to transfer the corals to a new system you don't infect the new system?

I am upgrading my system and I know I have dinos still in my system and would like to not transfer dinos to the new system. I am using all new rock, sand, tank pumps, water etc. But I want to transfer most of my corals after they sit in a qt tank while my new tank cycles.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone know how to kill dinos off of a coral so if you were to transfer the corals to a new system you don't infect the new system?

I am upgrading my system and I know I have dinos still in my system and would like to not transfer dinos to the new system. I am using all new rock, sand, tank pumps, water etc. But I want to transfer most of my corals after they sit in a qt tank while my new tank cycles.

Peroxide dip maybe?

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide dip maybe?
I dunno which was why I was asking. What came to my mind was fresh water dip, h202 dip, super strong coral wash dip.... I was hoping at some point someone found a solution that would kill them in a controlled environment. Again I am not treating the tank I want to just treat the coral.

Maybe even a bleach dip since that was working for entire systems.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dunno which was why I was asking. What came to my mind was fresh water dip, h202 dip, super strong coral wash dip.... I was hoping at some point someone found a solution that would kill them in a controlled environment. Again I am not treating the tank I want to just treat the coral.

Maybe even a bleach dip since that was working for entire systems.

I don't know of any way that's 100% guaranteed, so if you can, setup another QT tank, dip > move to QT, and leave coral there for a while to see if Dino's show up.

keyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good question, the difference is others on the market impact not just dino's but also anaerobic bacteria, while others are bacterial products which simply try to out compete the dino's only for them to return. They have also been a big hit and miss otherwise there would be no need for threads like this or for Dinokill to be invented.

Also I don't believe anyone else offers a personalized testing service along with a money back guarantee. It's obviously very hard to sell a product when other products which have claimed the same have failed so it creates skepticism. That's why this is being offered to those who help fund the project. This will provide people with confidence and will also provide great advertising by word of mouth when the product actually works.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good question, the difference is others on the market impact not just dino's but also anaerobic bacteria, while others are bacterial products which simply try to out compete the dino's only for them to return. They have also been a big hit and miss otherwise there would be no need for threads like this or for Dinokill to be invented.

Also I don't believe anyone else offers a personalized testing service along with a money back guarantee. It's obviously very hard to sell a product when other products which have claimed the same have failed so it creates skepticism. That's why this is being offered to those who help fund the project. This will provide people with confidence and will also provide great advertising by word of mouth when the product actually works.

Cool. Good luck with everything. If you don't hit your target I'd be interested in trying it. My dinos (which I still have but have under control) were not affected by dino-x, vibrant, Metro, chemi clean, h202 or bleach. They only grow on the sand and are toxic to snail.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been over feeding again on top of my already heavy feeding schedule to spur some cyano and dino growth. I want to culture and get some dinos to observe with that vibrant stuff. May do another thread like the metro dosing thread so its easier for me to track. Not sure yet.

Go for it Jason. Be interesting to see effects over a few weeks.

I did start a vibrant thread like the metro thread here:

http://reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-by-uwc-testing.276336/

Last edited:

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

On the campaign page, you posted a link to ostreopsis video. Did you test the compound on ostreopsis and does it work?

Cool. Good luck with everything. If you don't hit your target I'd be interested in trying it. My dinos (which I still have but have under control) were not affected by dino-x, vibrant, Metro, chemi clean, h202 or bleach. They only grow on the sand and are toxic to snail.

BMW, which species are you fighting?

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the campaign page, you posted a link to ostreopsis video. Did you test the compound on ostreopsis and does it work?

BMW, which species are you fighting?
Not sure. I had my sample looked at by tillward a long time ago he only stated I had dinos. This was early on before Metro. They don't get long and stringy and only stay on the sand. They do very well in low nutrients and high. I have found a decent range that keeps them controllable but like I stated one error and I get a big grow out. Then to get them back it costs money for pods, Dr tims live bacteria and new sand as I will syphon out the bad areas.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure. I had my sample looked at by tillward a long time ago he only stated I had dinos. This was early on before Metro. They don't get long and stringy and only stay on the sand. They do very well in low nutrients and high. I have found a decent range that keeps them controllable but like I stated one error and I get a big grow out. Then to get them back it costs money for pods, Dr tims live bacteria and new sand as I will syphon out the bad areas.

Have a pic?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back