Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many times did you dose? I have dosed 6 times and it went away then came back.
I dosed for a week but the first part was not strong enough doses....when I ended I was dosing using Clorox bleach which has 8.25%. Most no named brands only have 3%.

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I can find no dinos under scope... I dosed 1 dose with my wc.. kinda a maintenance dose lol..because I want to make sure the dinos are dead dead dead... and anything new that goes in..will be sampled under scope... @domination2580 found out.. watch the % .. with the right % bleach is does work.. on dinos.. I did heavy dose with mb7 ..afterwards ..which pretty sure caused a green algae ...but I will take green over brown snott..

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I can find no dinos under scope... I dosed 1 dose with my wc.. kinda a maintenance dose lol..because I want to make sure the dinos are dead dead dead... and anything new that goes in..will be sampled under scope... @domination2580 found out.. watch the % .. with the right % bleach is does work.. on dinos.. I did heavy dose with mb7 ..afterwards ..which pretty sure caused a green algae ...but I will take green over brown snott..
Yes I have that same algae but it's not green ha....sent a sample to twilliard and he sent me a pic of it.
25421.jpeg

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed for a week but the first part was not strong enough doses....when I ended I was dosing using Clorox bleach which has 8.25%. Most no named brands only have 3%.

Didn't you switch tanks? Apologies but I'm confused on the long thread. I thought you dipped and moved to a new tank.

reddog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also struggling with ostreopsis. I've tried adding bacteria, peroxide dosing, adding more live rock, stopping water changes (I really didn't do many anyway), turning off gfo and skimmer, skimming wet and a ton of gfo, carbon dosing, not carbon dosing, vibrant, 10 micron socks at night, adding live phyto and pods, manual removal, etc. I even tried dosing an chloramphenicol just for kicks (huge bacterial bloom at day 3 and fish were breathing heavy). The antibiotic was just for a last ditch effort. I know it kills vibrio, so I thought I'd try it just in case I had vibrio causing the RTN, along with ostreopsis. Come to find out, it's just the ostreopsis. I keep two canisters of carbon running at all times. I swap out carbon every 3-4 days. It seems I can kind of smell the ostreopsis when the carbon starts to run out. I've got approximately 200 gallons total from a 125 DT, 75 Frag, and 40 sump. The only things I haven't tried are 72 hours lights out and bleach. I've already lost huge SPS colonies and some LPS. Almost daily I have more SPS with tissue coming off.

My question is this. Is it possible to dose the bleach while leaving all livestock in the tank? It's going to be almost impossible to catch all of my fish. Has anyone dosed a lower amount of bleach while keeping the fish in the tank? I'd love to hear how it went and what dosing amount you used (and percentage bleach).

Thanks!

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also struggling with ostreopsis. I've tried adding bacteria, peroxide dosing, adding more live rock, stopping water changes (I really didn't do many anyway), turning off gfo and skimmer, skimming wet and a ton of gfo, carbon dosing, not carbon dosing, vibrant, 10 micron socks at night, adding live phyto and pods, manual removal, etc. I even tried dosing an chloramphenicol just for kicks (huge bacterial bloom at day 3 and fish were breathing heavy). The antibiotic was just for a last ditch effort. I know it kills vibrio, so I thought I'd try it just in case I had vibrio causing the RTN, along with ostreopsis. Come to find out, it's just the ostreopsis. I keep two canisters of carbon running at all times. I swap out carbon every 3-4 days. It seems I can kind of smell the ostreopsis when the carbon starts to run out. I've got approximately 200 gallons total from a 125 DT, 75 Frag, and 40 sump. The only things I haven't tried are 72 hours lights out and bleach. I've already lost huge SPS colonies and some LPS. Almost daily I have more SPS with tissue coming off.

My question is this. Is it possible to dose the bleach while leaving all livestock in the tank? It's going to be almost impossible to catch all of my fish. Has anyone dosed a lower amount of bleach while keeping the fish in the tank? I'd love to hear how it went and what dosing amount you used (and percentage bleach).

Thanks!
Negative. Bleach will kill all fish.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
I dosed for 3 days twice a day. 1ml per 10 gallons of 8.25% bleach...or until it sleeps like a pool. All livestock must be out, crabs amd snails are fine

cooper5389

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to jump in... been following along. I've got a 90G mixed reef stocked pretty well with LPS, 3 anemones, about 8 fish and a bunch of inverts.

Here's my dilemma, I'm in the process of cycling a new 225G tank. I need to knock out my dinos in my 90G and know they're gone before I can safely transfer anything into my new 225G.

I've done everything everybody else dose battling dinos, at best I'm able to maintain corals. I'm considering this 3 day bleach treatment.

If I take my fish and put them in a quarantine tank can I treat my 90G with the bleach treatment, with the corals and inverts in the tank and possibly knock out the Dino's?

cooper5389

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By maintain... I mean keep the dinos from advancing... but my tank refuses to thrive like it should.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By maintain... I mean keep the dinos from advancing... but my tank refuses to thrive like it should.
Yes. But the 1ml per 10 gallons is using 8.25% bleach. Also note, shrimp and starfish I'm not sure if they can do the bleach so I would take them out as well...as for crabs, snails, they should be just fine

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before removing live stock, try the recomended safe dose...live stock will be fine...and it has a good chance of solving the dino issue...if not then try the more invasive method imo

I dosed for 3months twice a day to experiment agaisnt velvelt....months later all fish are healthy and velvet free

reddog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before removing live stock, try the recomended safe dose...live stock will be fine...and it has a good chance of solving the dino issue...if not then try the more invasive method imo

I dosed for 3months twice a day to experiment agaisnt velvelt....months later all fish are healthy and velvet free

What's the recommended safe dose?

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What's the recommended safe dose? I haven't even heard of it....as far as I know any bleach will kill livestock

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the recommended safe dose? I haven't even heard of it....as far as I know any bleach will kill livestock
Nope. The answer is back in this thread, i came up with a formula a while back. .003 divided by bleach percentage multiplied by gallons in tank. This is the ml of bleach used every 12hr

Twillard pushed this way beyond the limit before killing any fish

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. The answer is back in this thread, i came up with a formula a while back. .003 divided by bleach percentage multiplied by gallons in tank. This is the ml of bleach used every 12hr

Twillard pushed this way beyond the limit before killing any fish
Agreed... I didnt lose one fish... or any thing..

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back