Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

Connor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are all good steps. I recently went thru this myself. The black out Def helped just make sure it's completely blacked out. Zero light gets in completely eliminate any source of light from display and the cabinet. I did poke a hole in the car board on top just so the tank can breathe. After that it was just alot of manual removal and blowing off rocks with a turkey baster consistantly for about 2 weeks. I also dosed MB7 this entire time can't tell if that contributed but I Def don't have them anymore.

What about h202? Its been three days so I'm taking it off today if its not all gone should I dose H202? if so does it matter what brand? and will it affect my coral and anemone?

Ghidellas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The only experience I have with h202 is I took a few problem rocks out and scrubbed them down with a tooth brush and h202. I didn't dose. However about 2 weeks after the blackout I started dosing no pox and I have had excellent results with that. It has got my nutrients under control which was the source of the problem to begin with. That's my experience so far

Ghidellas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If this didn't work my next step was to increase my turnover. I actually bought a bigger return pump and was going to adjust it to the max my overflow could handle but it's still sitting here. Fingers crossed I'll be returning it to amazon I have till end of January. And one other thing I did was replaced my uv bulb. I was at like the 7 month Mark on the bulb. That may have contributed also

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Therefore, transferring fish to a new tank is not a vector, introducing anything to any tank is not a vector, rather the only vector is the conditions in the tank.

Vector means a way for something biological to get to a place it was not before, it has nothing to do with expression if that helps to clarify acabgd. the rationale for mentioning it was just to show how invaders find their way in using amazing means.

Mosquitoes are vectors for malaria, for example.

Our goal here is only to help your current and future tanks, some stark changes are required.

If any direct examples might help, we have preserved sps, lysmata etc in our numerous linked threads and I know it's frustrating to have a seemingly large scale issue.

We like posts of GHA in this thread below, the current thread we are on was focused on dinos
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...llenge-thread-hydrogen-peroxide.187042/page-5

This link specifically shows sps and lysmata preservation

One aspect of the redo that can be helpful is the chance to take early action if it or any invader pops up again. This algae mix in your pictures got there by riding in on live rock and they expressed solely from no natural or unnatural grazers in place to stop them.

Last edited:

James J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my fight with hair algae,removed rock with coral on it and soaked in peroxide and water from the tank for 5 min. about 4 parts water and 1 part peroxide.The 2nd pic is 8 hrs after and 3rd is 24 hrs after,did an amazing job and the only down side I've seen so far is that it killed everything( pods,serpents,coraline)but the corals that was on the rock are fine( Zoas and monti's) the tank looks a lot better and my problem was my rodi

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

007Bond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey James,...what was your rodi issue? I had 3 tds,...changed my resin, now back to 0, but I get 0.03 on my Hanna Checker straight out of my rodi unit. I thought/expected it would read 0 ??---Rick

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only experience I have with h202 is I took a few problem rocks out [...]
This was my fight with hair algae,[...]

In theory this thread is about dinoflagellates but it seems worth repeating a link I already posted that might be interesting if you're also experiencing green hair or other types of algae outbreaks that explains why this treatment works and how to make it work better.

Check out the link... Well since I'm posting from the app and the apps linking ability is so broken I can't post it correctly, i'll just tell you it's about 4-5 pages back good luck finding it. The link is prominent.

I can't believe the reef to reef app is as old as it is and it's ability to post a link is still as broken as it is. The BB code "button" to post the URL doesn't even work properly. [emoji107]

James J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey James,...what was your rodi issue? I had 3 tds,...changed my resin, now back to 0, but I get 0.03 on my Hanna Checker straight out of my rodi unit. I thought/expected it would read 0 ??---Rick
My rodi was putting out 2 ppm,I'm sure it wasn't the first 3 filter as I change those every couple months,I beleive it was my membrane but changed all of them,now back to 0 ppm's.My membrane wasn't that old but I have well water and really wasn't putting out enough pressure for the membrane so I think that had a effect on the membrane,I have installed a booster pump and will see how that helps,been 3 months and still at 0 ppm

James J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rodi was putting out 2 ppm,I'm sure it wasn't the first 3 filter as I change those every couple months,I beleive it was my membrane but changed all of them,now back to 0 ppm's.My membrane wasn't that old but I have well water and really wasn't putting out enough pressure for the membrane so I think that had a effect on the membrane,I have installed a booster pump and will see how that helps,been 3 months and still at 0 ppm[/

James J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rodi was putting out 2 ppm,I'm sure it wasn't the first 3 filter as I change those every couple months,I beleive it was my membrane but changed all of them,now back to 0 ppm's.My membrane wasn't that old but I have well water and really wasn't putting out enough pressure for the membrane so I think that had a effect on the membrane,I have installed a booster pump and will see how that helps,been 3 months and still at 0 ppm[/
i have a small tank that is over grown with hair algae that as soon as I get all the coral and fish moved to another tank I will use to experiment with peroxide

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Connor yes it can zap macro. We use it to rid tanks of macro invasions

some have their macro survive whole tank doses but that's in low doses so they are indeed a loss risk.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James thanks for letting me use those pics, by simply acting directly you just averted an entire tank invasion. Now that your algae was beaten back, typical algae prevention methods can be used and accurately evaluated.

007Bond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rodi was putting out 2 ppm,I'm sure it wasn't the first 3 filter as I change those every couple months,I beleive it was my membrane but changed all of them,now back to 0 ppm's.My membrane wasn't that old but I have well water and really wasn't putting out enough pressure for the membrane so I think that had a effect on the membrane,I have installed a booster pump and will see how that helps,been 3 months and still at 0 ppm

James,...are you saying that your tds's were showing 2 or was your PO4 at 2 and now are at 0?

I wondering if someone can tell me if you have 0 tds output from your rodi unit should you have 0 PO4 readings from whatever testing device you use(ie hanna, red sea, salifert ect) or can you still get PO4 readings with tds at 0? Thanks in advance,---Rick

James J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James,...are you saying that your tds's were showing 2 or was your PO4 at 2 and now are at 0?

I wondering if someone can tell me if you have 0 tds output from your rodi unit should you have 0 PO4 readings from whatever testing device you use(ie hanna, red sea, salifert ect) or can you still get PO4 readings with tds at 0? Thanks in advance,---Rick
Yes my tds's , not sure why I put ppm

Connor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can I put my cheato somewhere while doing the dose like a plastic bag?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's better than direct contact for sure
Can we see pics so curious to see the offending organism

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearly you have lots of offers on how to fix

It's confusing when nine people who all mean well tell you different things to do. After trying all of them consider the thread above I linked called pest algae challenge thread hydrogen peroxide. We aren't dosing the tank with it

That is not dinoflagellates you have. Run this test on a sample and holler back

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/helpful-method-for-identifying-dinoflagellates.216508/

Your algae would not be hard to fix, but it will take work in simply lifting out the rocks for external application, because internal application is diluted to the target, hits nontargets, and in that lessens the attack you can do on the intended target. Nothing should be dumped in the water this is an algal invader

Lights out doesn't work because it's not dinos.

Don't blend methods. Try all others first, fully so you won't be tempted to blend methods or you might harm the corals by compound stress, only pick one method and run it until you are sure it works or not.

what's in that challenge thread a few posts up will fix your tank, and a single test rock is repeated constantly in that thread for specific strategic reasons.

All you have to do is clean out your reef and hit all areas external not internal with peroxide or even that algaefix they mentioned, but not as a tank dose, right on the target, a test rock will reveal if it works or not.

To get the sandbed portion of your tank clean, clean out the entire sandbed. Others will recommend a different way, consult the threads they have of tank fixes as you evaluate ways.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back