Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

Connor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearly you have lots of offers on how to fix

It's confusing when nine people who all mean well tell you different things to do. After trying all of them consider the thread above I linked called pest algae challenge thread hydrogen peroxide. We aren't dosing the tank with it

That is not dinoflagellates you have. Run this test on a sample and holler back

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/helpful-method-for-identifying-dinoflagellates.216508/

Your algae would not be hard to fix, but it will take work in simply lifting out the rocks for external application, because internal application is diluted to the target, hits nontargets, and in that lessens the attack you can do on the intended target. Nothing should be dumped in the water this is an algal invader

Lights out doesn't work because it's not dinos.

Don't blend methods. Try all others first, fully so you won't be tempted to blend methods or you might harm the corals by compound stress, only pick one method and run it until you are sure it works or not.

what's in that challenge thread a few posts up will fix your tank, and a single test rock is repeated constantly in that thread for specific strategic reasons.

All you have to do is clean out your reef and hit all areas external not internal with peroxide or even that algaefix they mentioned, but not as a tank dose, right on the target, a test rock will reveal if it works or not.

To get the sandbed portion of your tank clean, clean out the entire sandbed. Others will recommend a different way, consult the threads they have of tank fixes as you evaluate ways.

Alright so right now before I go to bed what do you recommend I do first

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to do an easy spot test nothing is simpler or takes less prep...just lift out that top arch rock out of the tank hold it over a sink and pour peroxide all over it let sit in air two mins

Rinse with a cup of tank water poured over after it cooked two mins in the air

Put back in

We gauge that in 48 hours I bet it's clean. If so, do the rest, so easy
B

Connor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to do an easy spot test nothing is simpler or takes less prep...just lift out that top arch rock out of the tank hold it over a sink and pour peroxide all over it let sit in air two mins

Rinse with a cup of tank water poured over after it cooked two mins in the air

Put back in

We gauge that in 48 hours I bet it's clean. If so, do the rest, so easy
B

what about the beneficial Bactria in the rock? and also I have corals encrusted on the rocks

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Connor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this helps identify it but this is some of it in my hand

20151214_232620.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only an aquarium shot would work pm me a whole tank shot if you can

However I don't think it's dinos, reasonably confident there. Calothrix or lyngbya maybe. Practicing botanists chuckle at our (my) feeble ID attempts with general names...standard fix attempts work across species thankfully. One can strip nutrients to try and starve, use plants, grazers, or the chemi burns we track. Our peroxide threads hardly ever name species or ask for po4 levels, not needed usually.

Last edited:

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 Just wanted to share... I've been using H2O2 for the last 10 days. Corals appear to be ok. Dinoflagellates growing slower, but still there. I was looking at the ORP curve and realized that the decrease in ORP is followed by an Increase about 4hs and 30 mins after dosing.
Screenshot 2015-12-15 09.49.20.png

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your rebound spike is super interesting, I wonder if that's after the organics have scrubbed their share.

I haven't really seen a week long comparison of peroxide vs no peroxide ORP before that's great to see above I want to link those to our p thread as they develop.

Last edited:

Connor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I scrubed a good amount of it off the rock with a tooth brush like 2 or 3 days ago and so far it hasn't grown back.. does that seem like dino? Also I did the thing in the thread you shared and nothing grew in the cup. I haven't done a water change in almost a month because I was told that it would feed the algae but that doesn't make sense to me because my rodi unit is reading 0 tds. So should I just do a water change and sift through the sand and see what happens?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go through the sandbed it can be a cycle risk. I like to either clean them thoroughly or leave them alone and the pics don't seem like the invader goes far into the bed. The only method I could reliably offer is the test rock external treatments from the challenge thread.

Connor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go through the sandbed it can be a cycle risk. I like to either clean them thoroughly or leave them alone and the pics don't seem like the invader goes far into the bed. The only method I could reliably offer is the test rock external treatments from the challenge thread.

But what should I do about the sand bed?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the depths of the bed per the front picture don't look clogged with waste nor clogged with the invader so a light topical cleaning is ok

I would either hand scoop out the layers with the growth and simply rinse them in scaling hot water out of the tank then put back, or siphon remove those areas and rinse and put back. Do as few spots not very deep as it takes to clean it all out we want to be careful here

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would second part of that at least.

If there is any doubt about your sand bed, take your finger or something and swizzle it around in the sand in a few strategic locations.

If anything but a cloud of pure white comes up then your sand bed is compromised.

If you should find that to be the case, my recommendation is almost always to take a siphon and/or shop vac and suck the entire sand bed out during a series of water changes.

You typically don't want to remove more than 1/5 or 1/4 at a time so the live rock has at least those 4 or 5 days to assume the sand bed's capacity.

Once you're done removing the old sand bed, replacing it with brand new sand or leave the bare bottom are both fully legitimate options. (Definitely pitch the old sand. New sand is too cheap to mess with cleaning.) Bare bottom can even work with sand dwelling fish, FYI.

$0.02

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, it's also fairly mandatory to figure out what allowed all the detritus into the sand bed and fix that before adding any new sand then if you choose to go that route.

It's usually in adequate flow - sometimes simply having pumps set up wrong. Could be other things too such as rock structure.

paraletho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read the whole 43 page thread, but has anyone tested to see if there is a particular time of day that is more advantageous for dosing. Mornings, evenings, etc

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a really rough guess, but tied in by hundreds of dosing examples day vs night where corals were stressed way more often during lighted cycles, a total guess is posed that free radical insulting done on target X by peroxide is amplified where light levels made things worse

If non target corals are strong and adding mass, a daylight dose is harder on the target invaders (And non targets too but they are strong, have reserves)

If non target corals are weak and receding from stress, the tank is better dosed at night so the weakest in the tank have a better chance. There is an interesting tie in daylight amplifying both the good and bad effects of peroxide dosing.

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link taken, and reposted, that's like nine of them recently from you nice going MC

paraletho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks brandon and mcarrol. Since my corals are in pretty good shape, growing and all polypy and such, I am going to assume it would be better to dose during the daytime hours of the light cycle to do the maximum damage to the dinos. I caught them early and they are almost gone.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 36 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back