Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want to check in with you guys and can confirm. vibrant kills osteo dinos.

i used uv and peroxide and even changed out my entire substrate. 3 days a week with dark blue lights. still....it persisted.

1 dose of vibrant rocked it all out. it DID irritate all my millies or anything with polyps out. and that initial dose made them pale out like they had no nutrients in the system. no losses.

so +1 from me. vibrant will be one of the few additives that filled a gap in my arsenal.

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that Russ. I have osteo and haven't been able to get totally rid of it with 14 doses of vibrant so far. I do have some other algaes it has taken care of and some it may be working on. Was your tank clear of algae? Wondering if it's going to take awhile because of the other algae in my tank. As UWC says it seems to work on certain types at a time.
Also did you dose any peroxide at the same time?
Thanks

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want to check in with you guys and can confirm. vibrant kills osteo dinos.

i used uv and peroxide and even changed out my entire substrate. 3 days a week with dark blue lights. still....it persisted.

1 dose of vibrant rocked it all out. it DID irritate all my millies or anything with polyps out. and that initial dose made them pale out like they had no nutrients in the system. no losses.

so +1 from me. vibrant will be one of the few additives that filled a gap in my arsenal.
Which one
There are a few ostreopsis to choose from
http://species-identification.org/i...groep=Dinoflagellates&eerst_getoonde_soort=32

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twilliard,
Which does this look like to you?
IMG_1911.JPG

Hope that worked.
Thanks

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a protist species that I can not locate an exact name. This is one of the most common found in our aquaria.
I am working with a lab to hopefully start sending them samples for ID but this is a work in progress.

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a protist species that I can not locate an exact name. This is one of the most common found in our aquaria.
I am working with a lab to hopefully start sending them samples for ID but this is a work in progress.

Thanks, it's a beast to kill but seems to be low toxic so that's a plus.

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through a Dr. Tim's Refresh and Waste Away cycle. Took about 10 days of dosing every other day and reduced lighting, but my Dinos disappeared. I raised my Alk and pH too. Been about 6 weeks and no sign of them returning (fingers crossed).

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that Russ. I have osteo and haven't been able to get totally rid of it with 14 doses of vibrant so far. I do have some other algaes it has taken care of and some it may be working on. Was your tank clear of algae? Wondering if it's going to take awhile because of the other algae in my tank. As UWC says it seems to work on certain types at a time.
Also did you dose any peroxide at the same time?
Thanks

i mainly dosed vibrant because i had some weird weird weird hair algae.

like this stuff is green when i go lights out. but within 10 minutes of lights on it turns red/brown. weirdest thing i ever saw.

my nutrients are really low already so i figured id give it a shot.

i run 2 ml per hour peroxide on my system and i run uv.
nutrients have been way lower than i liked for the last 6 months.

2ppm no3.
undetectable po4.

ive been running blues 50% and whites 10%

when i was menace free, i could run 100% everything as long as i kept nutrients in the tank.

hth

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like the ones I have. That gives me hope. Maybe I should try dosing peroxide at the same time.

i dose 2 ml per hour on the doser for a 300 system gallon tank.

it keeps them from invading polyps.

uv is whatever imo.

the vibrant did knock my system back to next week in terms of whatever nutrients i had in my system.

felt like i had a virgin tank again and my corals paled after the initial dose.

just be careful

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone dosed h202 with the following:

1) green chromis
2) plating montipora
3) yellow clown goby

johnny4491

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling Dinos in my 180 for about a month and nothing really seemed to get rid of them. I tried all the usual remedies....carbon, GFO, kalk, EcoBak, wet skimming, various new additions to CUC, and periodic 72 hr blackouts... all to no avail. After the blackouts, it would appear to be gone, but would be back the next day by the end of the light cycle. I started dosing the recommended 1ml per 10 gallons and after just 3 days, I seem to be dino free!! I also noticed that some of the hair algae that was growing in my frag tank (all plumbed into the same system) is starting to die off. I'm definitely planning to start a maintenance dose in my system. I'll post if I begin to notice any downfalls, but thus far I must say that I'm thoroughly impressed! Thanks for the tip Troylee!!!

I have some dinos and thinking of doing this but I have a nano tank where do I add the dosing from

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys... I think my dinos came back. Most likely because I started feeding my fish more often. A couple snails died and there's brown stuff on the sand when the lights are on. I'm staying on top of it so it doesn't get out of control, but if it's dinos I'll go at it more aggressively. Note I'm cleaning my sand bed often and have tried Chemiclean so I don't think it's cyano or diatoms.

Here's a pic from my pre-K microscope, do you think you could help me ID it? I need some second opinions.
photo.jpg

JerseyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I have dinos and some diatoms in that pic above. So for a week now I've been raising my alk and pH along with dosing peroxide 1ml per 10 gallon every night. My pH is at 8.4+ and my alk is at 14.0. I haven't seen much of a difference.

I got a 10 micron filter sock and cleaned the sand the other day. It helped but most of the brown on the sand is back today. I'm going to start double dosing peroxide in morning and at night.

If in a couple weeks I see no change I'll go 3-days full blackout and continue the other treatments.

Any other thoughts? Thanks!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you may be keeping optimal conditions for them.....what are current tank params? How much light is the tank getting (lux or PAR readings are fine)?

Can you post a current pic of the tank?

If you want to address them with mechanical filtration you'll want micron-level filters.

Not sure if you can get filter socks like that, or if you'd even want them.

Here's another option...probably better:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back