Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey troy were you dosing with ligh on or off??

Both... Just when ever I thought about it lol.... I can't promise dosing a tank will rid your algae problems but as a dip on disc and plugs etc it will for sure... Now dosing the tank to rid dinos I can pretty much garuntee also from what little exp. I have lol...dosing with lights off should be fine it raises the o2 levels in the tank that's a good thing IMHO.

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good ol Troy today is my 3rd dose and I've seen no drop in weight on my pipefish mandarins or other pod eating fish like I had with algaefix so that's good!

shelbyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good ol Troy today is my 3rd dose and I've seen no drop in weight on my pipefish mandarins or other pod eating fish like I had with algaefix so that's good!

How long did you try algaefix, and did it work for you?
I did nothing for me so I am trying h202 aswell.
I definitely kills the algae when I dip the corals in it, but not sure if it is strong enough at 1ml/gal to kill it in the display. A side benefit is it raises the ph nicely.

bkss709

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on day 6 and i only have a few patches left in the tank and none on my rock work at all and it was covering everything before dosing at 1 mil per 10 gallons. I am going to keep dosing at this rate till all of it is gone.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on day 6 and i only have a few patches left in the tank and none on my rock work at all and it was covering everything before dosing at 1 mil per 10 gallons. I am going to keep dosing at this rate till all of it is gone.
thats what i like to hear!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1smile1

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok first of all zooxanthellae are Dinoflagellates..

Peroxide basically increases oxygen levels so I am not exactly sure how it would kill Dinoflagellates in a reef tank. Peroxide would work kind of like bleach and oxidize anything.

Also the comment dinos love silicates is wrong, diatoms love silicates. One thing about diatoms is they look allot like Dinoflagellates to the naked eye except they usually are slightly more brown in color and Dinoflagellates look allot like snot but so can diatoms sometimes. .

Dave Polzin

Last edited:

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shred, I have a theory reguarding that thought exactly, my hypothesisis this -In addition to H2O, and O2, there is some O3 formation, increasing redox (ORP), signifigantly increasing water clarity, allowing the sunburn my acros got.
I need to come up with a control to see if this is possible, any suggestions?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shred, I have a theory reguarding that thought exactly, my hypothesisis this -In addition to H2O, and O2, there is some O3 formation, increasing redox (ORP), signifigantly increasing water clarity, allowing the sunburn my acros got.
I need to come up with a control to see if this is possible, any suggestions?

You are correct it would increase orp just like ozone or Potassium Permanganate would.

I have always found that dino’s will thrive more in lower nutrient conditions than other algae. I have found that by increasing other types of algae growth (like green types) in a fuge will cause dino’s to curb there growth.

I have seen this so much and I think why it is so frustrating. The more you lower nutrients the faster this stuff grows because the other algae’s die and the dino’s have nothing to compete with.

Dave Polzin

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So maybe it could be the same sunburn effect killing the dinos?

I doubt it but who knows. I have run ozone on tanks with heavy dino growth and saw no change. Dinos are a free swimming algae and ozone should kill anything moving through the water column. Maybe it is from direct contact with the peroxide.

I still wonder also if the thread starter actually had dino's and not diatoms. He mentioned silicates and r/o membrane change.

The hole thing could just be coincidence too and the peroxide had nothing to do with anything. Both diatoms and dino’s grow at alarming rates and crash allot of times on there own.
It will be interesting to see if other people have the same results. You know others will try it whether they should or not try it.

I can see higher concentration oxidizing algae from frags with no doubt and using as a dip for parasites or even for bacteria or infections. I would definitely exercise caution and keep an eye on the frag or coral.

Dave Polzin

Last edited:

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno, Troy has been on here a minute or two, I think he might be correct.
I KNOW I had the beginings of a dino outbreak because of the way my corals were reacting to its presence, diotoms don't make my zoas close for a week at a time, dinos do.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

a few patches of Dino's left? or were you trying this for a different pest?

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to give this a shot just out of boredom and for the long shot that it might kill off some Gelidium in my tank. I'm 6 days into 1ml per 10G on my 120 and have seen zero effects on anything in my system. Glass still needs cleaning every 3 or 4 days, sand is a little dirty with diatoms, some Bryopsis in overflows, etc. FYI, I continued dosing Vodka/MB7 during H2O2 dosing.

Last edited:

bkss709

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i had a full blown out break do to adding a lot of live rock from a guys tank i bought off him that he was selling and had no place to keep his rock so it went in my sump. And that and all the corals he had put a big load on my tank and the dino's started about a week later and it was all over the sand and rock and corals and my Zoa's and paly's and my zoa's and paly would not open at all . And now after 6 day's of adding 1 mil for every 10 gallons the dino's are all most gone just a few patches here and there and all the corals are open and happy.

a few patches of Dino's left? or were you trying this for a different pest?

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had dinos 100 percent sure... I run a ulns and Dino outbreaks are very common.... What you are stating is exactly what my friend told me it only kills them in the swimming stage... I'm not saying my membrane was the cause but I tend to think it is... It was 1 of 3 things like I mentioned
#1 mb7
#2 vodka
#3 my ro membrane....
I'm not sure because I can't test for any of the 3 but one those had to be it....:(

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing a little reading, hydrogen peroxide DEFINATLY increases redox (ORP), and I have seen multiple benefits since beging to dose, the only precaution I can see becoming standard is shortening the photo period or raising the lights (if you can) as the increased redox has a major effect on water clarity, and as stated prior SPS does not do well with major PAR swings.

Henry C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent thread!!!! I just started dosing today will pass on my results after a week...

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding Peroxide doesn't raise ORP. I see it drop from 450 to 220 when I add it to my tank

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUMP!! Just wondering if anyone dosed H2O2 with clams in the mix??? Any ill effects?? Gonna try tonight if I get the go ahead from yo9u guys!

cody6766

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a thread mentioning this on RC and started my dosing yesterday. I added 4mL (40br, 20g sump; accounted for rock displacement, sump half full) in just after the lights came on and the tank looked slightly better that evening. I didn't have the mid day bloom I always got. I also noticed that the zoas and SPS in the tank don't have their usual snot coating that kept them from opening. I haven't noiced a reaction from my small'ish maxima clam. It's still it's normal fat, stupid and happy.

So, things I've noticed
Less brownish goo on the sand and on the coral
slightly cleaner glass (probably from brown goo loss)
Open Zoas (from the lack of irritation)

My skimmer ran VERY wet after dumping it. This may be a coencidence or it may be linked. I'm leaning towards a coencidence because I'm using a modded coralife SS65 and, while better than stock, it's still kind of a point of sale.

Everything else is totally normal. I'll try to remember to update this thread as I actually get into the experiment. I'm not altering anything else aside from the H2O2 addition, so hopefully it will yeild some pseudo-scientific results

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back