Dipping corals in...Bayer Insecticide?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Scarybo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst trend ever... There's quite a lot of mounting evidence to suggest it causes harm short-term and long-term. I care about the corals. There's plenty of dips meant for corals which do not interfere with the coral itself. It also provokes a resistance in arthropods that is a genetic "switch" which is very real. So those using it for red bugs are just asking for it.
Can't wait until the days comes when people open their eyes.

But flame away those who say 'I've seen no negative effects', I'm used to it. I'll not be checking back because of this.
What mounting evidence? I would like to read and understand. All coral dips are a poison at some level. Would like to see why Bayer is different.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What mounting evidence? I would like to read and understand. All coral dips are a poison at some level. Would like to see why Bayer is different.

I've tried a pretty good assortment of treatments and none of them are truly 100% coral friendly. I'd be interested in what he is using that has no interference with coral.

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only dip I have ever used and never once have I had an issue. I don't even measure the amount of Bayer and just squirt the bottle into the cup. Just make to rinse really well. Used it on every type of coral there.

Kungpaoshizi I would like to see where you got this info from "It also provokes a resistance in arthropods that is a genetic "switch" which is very real. So those using it for red bugs are just asking for it"

Scarybo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only dip I have ever used and never once have I had an issue. I don't even measure the amount of Bayer and just squirt the bottle into the cup. Just make to rinse really well. Used it on every type of coral there.

Kungpaoshizi I would like to see where you got this info from "It also provokes a resistance in arthropods that is a genetic "switch" which is very real. So those using it for red bugs are just asking for it"
I read through the previous thread discussing Bayer and focus on the page 6 #111 post. It detailed the use of DDT/pesticides and developed resistance. I am a layman and not by any sense an expert but I dont see that risk in our hobby due to a few major differences.
  • The pest we are trying to eliminate on corals arent exposed to this pesticide in the wild and allowed time to develop resistance
  • The corals in our tank arent exposed to this toxin for a significant amount of time (no time/ability to develop resistance)
  • Any transmission of pest between hobbyist is incidental and multiple generations have not been exposed to the dip
The development of resistance as documented is to DDT that is sprayed and left. As a result several generations are exposed to the toxin. Over time nature always wins. Nature adapts and the pest develop resistance. It's similar to the problem we see with antibiotics. In our hobby we dip and rinse. The pest is exposed for a very short time. There should be no residual that would allow the pest to adapt. Is it possible for a coral pest to adapt. I cant say no but I dont see the prolonged exposure and transmission to nature that would allow the evolution/adaption. Again I am not an expert and everything I just posted could be nonsense. Just my humble opinion/observation.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home Depot always has it

We have had good luck finding it there as well :)

Worst trend ever... There's quite a lot of mounting evidence to suggest it causes harm short-term and long-term. I care about the corals. There's plenty of dips meant for corals which do not interfere with the coral itself. It also provokes a resistance in arthropods that is a genetic "switch" which is very real. So those using it for red bugs are just asking for it.
Can't wait until the days comes when people open their eyes.

But flame away those who say 'I've seen no negative effects', I'm used to it. I'll not be checking back because of this.

I can absolutely see where you are coming from. We're dealing with a pretty harsh chemical here, so you need to take as many safety precautions as possible.

I read through the previous thread discussing Bayer and focus on the page 6 #111 post. It detailed the use of DDT/pesticides and developed resistance. I am a layman and not by any sense an expert but I dont see that risk in our hobby due to a few major differences.
  • The pest we are trying to eliminate on corals arent exposed to this pesticide in the wild and allowed time to develop resistance
  • The corals in our tank arent exposed to this toxin for a significant amount of time (no time/ability to develop resistance)
  • Any transmission of pest between hobbyist is incidental and multiple generations have not been exposed to the dip
The development of resistance as documented is to DDT that is sprayed and left. As a result several generations are exposed to the toxin. Over time nature always wins. Nature adapts and the pest develop resistance. It's similar to the problem we see with antibiotics. In our hobby we dip and rinse. The pest is exposed for a very short time. There should be no residual that would allow the pest to adapt. Is it possible for a coral pest to adapt. I cant say no but I dont see the prolonged exposure and transmission to nature that would allow the evolution/adaption. Again I am not an expert and everything I just posted could be nonsense. Just my humble opinion/observation.

Great points, thanks for sharing! That's a great point with the red bugs - assuming there's a fresh genetic strain/population each time it's being treated.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back