Dipping Zoanthairans

tampasnooker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just reread this write up on zoa dips and have a more specific question I hope someone can answer. I just discovered a (single) zoa nudi on some AoG's I was fragging. The bright red he was accumulating made him an easy spot. Since I had bought half a dozen colonies recently from the same wholesaler, I decided to pull and dip 2 other colonies that weren't opening up well. One came up clean and the other blue colony had two that are much harder to spot. I am using Coral Rx Pro and while it has made these 3 move around and show themselves, I'm not convinced it will kill the adults.
I also have some Lugols kicking around and may dip at 5 drops per quart after these ones get some rest. And I have Revive that I just got back in stock. Any specific recommendations on products, order of dipping and concentrations? I am very concerned because the red one was much larger than the ones off of the blue colony, suggesting two hatches - where are the others??? I keep a 6 line in the zoa bins so hopefully it'll help keep the rest at bay. I don't see any signs of stress in the frag bin or other mother colonies but am on high alert for any closed up polyps.

tampasnooker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have spent the last hour reading and have found that Flatworm Exit may be effective both as a bath or as a whole tank treatment. Anyone know if FWE can be mixed with Revive or Coral Rx?

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just reread this write up on zoa dips and have a more specific question I hope someone can answer. I just discovered a (single) zoa nudi on some AoG's I was fragging. The bright red he was accumulating made him an easy spot. Since I had bought half a dozen colonies recently from the same wholesaler, I decided to pull and dip 2 other colonies that weren't opening up well. One came up clean and the other blue colony had two that are much harder to spot. I am using Coral Rx Pro and while it has made these 3 move around and show themselves, I'm not convinced it will kill the adults.
I also have some Lugols kicking around and may dip at 5 drops per quart after these ones get some rest. And I have Revive that I just got back in stock. Any specific recommendations on products, order of dipping and concentrations? I am very concerned because the red one was much larger than the ones off of the blue colony, suggesting two hatches - where are the others??? I keep a 6 line in the zoa bins so hopefully it'll help keep the rest at bay. I don't see any signs of stress in the frag bin or other mother colonies but am on high alert for any closed up polyps.

My initial recommendation would be to dip every one of the colonies you have in the zoa bin in the Lugals at 5 drops per quart - if possible do all the colonies in a single five gallon bucket at 20 drops per gallon. That concentration won't hurt the polyps and should be terminal for the flatworms. The six-line unfortunately may or may not be helpful depending on the individual fish - some help, others don't. If you can't remove all the colonies in the zoa bin at once and dip them, then you're going to have to try and figure out a whole tank dip of some kind, as any you miss are simply going to spread out and move to new colonies once the colonies are returned to the tank after dipping. Unfortunately I can't help you with the Flatworm Exit, as I've never used the product myself.

tampasnooker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response. I focused today on the few colonies that were closed up and that's where I found the few I did. I'll let them relax a bit since the Coral Rx dip was fairly strong and I left them for 30-40 min. How long is acceptable in the bath at that strength?

Here's where I got the FWE suggestion: http://www.practicalcoralfarming.com/zoonudis.html

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response. I focused today on the few colonies that were closed up and that's where I found the few I did. I'll let them relax a bit since the Coral Rx dip was fairly strong and I left them for 30-40 min. How long is acceptable in the bath at that strength?

Here's where I got the FWE suggestion: http://www.practicalcoralfarming.com/zoonudis.html

Lugals recommends a 10 to 15 minute dip at that strength. Thanks for the info on FWE, I'll check that out when I get a chance.

stoneroller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be mixing treatments as that may either form toxins or reduce effectiveness. I use separate containers if multiple treatments are warranted (my routine is revive with tankwater, RO w/Lugol's, then Brightwell Restore dip with tankwater). Although little and adult nudis are easy to kill (freshwater is lickety split) the eggs are unaffected. Suspect rocks or frags should be inspected for the egg cases. Good luck and it's great you are proactively treating your livestock, tampasnooker. I wish more retailers would do such.

tampasnooker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So going from one chem bath to another to another doesn't add additional undue stress on the polyps? Same as you are concerned of interactions in the water reducing the effectiveness of either chem, I have the same concern about residue that has soaked into their tissue reacting with the next treatment.

tampasnooker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a follow up - what is the life cycle of a zoa nudi? Most importantly, how many days from the eggs being laid to hatch? This would make prophalactic treatment much easier and less stressful on the polyps. Dip them when they come in; wait the hatching period and dip them within a day or two. Surely it takes a little while longer for them to reach sexual maturity so you'd have a window where you could finish the job with certainty.

Anyone have any difinitive data on this?

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a follow up - what is the life cycle of a zoa nudi? Most importantly, how many days from the eggs being laid to hatch? This would make prophalactic treatment much easier and less stressful on the polyps. Dip them when they come in; wait the hatching period and dip them within a day or two. Surely it takes a little while longer for them to reach sexual maturity so you'd have a window where you could finish the job with certainty.

Anyone have any difinitive data on this?

I've succeeded in getting rid of some when dipping the frags every 5-7 days. The more often I dipped, the quicker I got rid of the problem, so I would guestimate a hatch time span of maybe 2~4 days, making me figure the ideal would be dipping every 3~4 days. I've had success with revive/iodine/coralRX and freshwater all being viable for killing the adults. My preference on a small outbreak would be the revive, as I've noticed revive to actually perk up zoa's after dipping, which along with some other responses would make me feel comfortable dipping frequently in the revive without harming the polyps.

JBs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've succeeded in getting rid of some when dipping the frags every 5-7 days. The more often I dipped, the quicker I got rid of the problem, so I would guestimate a hatch time span of maybe 2~4 days, making me figure the ideal would be dipping every 3~4 days. I've had success with revive/iodine/coralRX and freshwater all being viable for killing the adults. My preference on a small outbreak would be the revive, as I've noticed revive to actually perk up zoa's after dipping, which along with some other responses would make me feel comfortable dipping frequently in the revive without harming the polyps.

I have heard that revive and coral Rx actually dont kill the nudis they only stun them and allow them to fall off. Is this is why they recommend a pump or flow in the dip container?

bumpkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dip them then dip them then dip them.....................you want to shake them really good and a turkey baster is great....DONT let them get out of control I had a horrible time getting rid of them

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to: Dip your zoa's with Furan-2

Ever get zoapox or fungus on your zoa's? Furan-2 is a great dip that seems to work very effectively at removing both zoapox, as well as random fungal or bacterial infections. So here's a sort of walk-through on how I do it. Must make sure to credit Thanh Nguyen and the article found at CoralPedia.com :: Articles :: ZoaPox (Zoa Pox); the search for the cause and cure which is where I learned how to do it. The following is just my step-by-step procedure, and I use the powder instead of capsules.

%<- GPS

The furan-2 I'm using- it's also available in a capsule form probably a bit more readily.
505270483_photobucket_47050_.jpg

The container I'm using for dipping- not sure the exact size- I measure via color produced, not by how much of each ingredient. Razor blade is sitting in there just to give some idea of size.
505270483_photobucket_47046_.jpg

I measure just by tapping some into the lid. Maybe a 1/4 teaspoon or so? They're zoa's, not delicate, so adding a little too much is perfectly ok in my experience.
505270483_photobucket_47051_.jpg

Toss it in and mix it up..
505270483_photobucket_47052_.jpg

after mixed up- I'm dipping just for a general dip, so not as dark as I would do it if it was zoapox. If zoapox, i'll mix to the point of not seeing to the bottom, and then a little darker. I do not want any risk of zoapox spreading if I ever get a polyp that has it, so will gladly overdose the furan to prevent it from happening, even at the risk of a polyp or two.
505270483_photobucket_47053_.jpg

The rock of purple death's I'm dipping, there was a 'nem of some sort stinging some polyps, with an asterina actually munching on the damaged tissue. Have had this in extremely low lighting and think it caused them to suffer, so dipping and then going to get them back in shape.
505270483_photobucket_47047_.jpg

Closer up of the polyps that are damaged (the closed up, more greyish ones)
505270483_photobucket_47048_.jpg

Drop it on in the dip.... (be careful, the furan will cause stains, and obviously you don't want an anti-bacterial getting into your tank!)
505270483_photobucket_47054_.jpg

Can see the color consistency of the water- again, if it was zoapox, i'd be using a darker solution
505270483_photobucket_47056_.jpg

20 minutes on the clock...if you go over on time by a few minutes, no big deal. They're zoa's, very hardy
505270483_photobucket_47057_.jpg

Removing from dip- if this was just zoapox, i'd go right back to the display, no need to rinse in between unless you're dipping A LOT of stuff (and thus greater amount of furan-2 will be getting back into your tank)
505270483_photobucket_47064_.jpg

Because this was a general dip for something that I wasn't quite sure what the problem was, I went ahead and transfered the rock from the furan-2 to an iodine dip. Please read (INSERT LINK TO IODINE DIP THREAD ONCE THREADS ARE MOVED) if you'd like more info.

Hope that's some help :bigsmile:

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good writeup. Just a general comment that people may want to consider wearing gloves and eye protection when handling zoathids or palyzoas. Palytoxin poisoning isn't fun!

CJ

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
absolutely Randy! I just moved the thread and merged it here, but didn't want to go fiddling with your posts as you did a great job with the write-ups. By all means, please move it around and edit it as you like!

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you put the Zoa in the Microwave for 20 mins :xd: JK lol Great write up!

Well....if you REALLY want to get rid of Zoapox, the microwave for 20 minutes will work. Just the minor catch that you won't have any zoa's to worry about anymore either...

tclipse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could we get FWE dips added to this list? I've been looking up how to do it myself but I'm having a hard time finding decent dosing instructions (for dips not for tank treatment)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back