Rating - 0%
0   0   0

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice thread!!!!! This information is "must know" for anyone trading or collecting corals.

This has probably been addressed, but of all of these methods I have come to prefer Revive. It seems to kill everything I care about pretty effectively (+/- redbugs - interceptor) and doesn't seem to bother my corals much at all. I've had many zoas and palys stay open during an entire 10-minute dip and remain open once placed back in the tank.

Julian Sprung's company should send me free stuff after a plug like that :)

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated the thread, added pictures as well as palytoxin and FWE information. Sorry Martin it took me so long to get that added in here (he sent me the info on it right after I published the thread the first time)! Thanks all for the help and suggestions, and as always, if you learn of a new effective dip or want to add some more detailed directions with pictures feel free to post it up and I will edit it in.

bkoppes

SaraNOSNOWta
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it important to use fresh SALTWATER for the Furan-2 dip or will tank water work?

Any reason not to use tank water? Figure I have to adjust new saltwater alk and cal on fresh Saltwater for dip??

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I've done them I've always used tank water rather than fresh saltwater, less shock on the polyps.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer Dip

Least Stressful Dip for Corals.

Most Effective Dip Against Pets.

Best All Around Dip Hands Down.

Cheapest Dip too.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears none of these dips will kill aiptasia.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean Dip

...i had a small colony of firestorms that had closed up for a week with no aparent visual reason after being happy for months....all other zoa were open and happy (zoa dominated nano) so i decided to give Chemiclean a try after reading a few posts where it worked

I used half a scoop in half a litre of tank water and dipped for 15 minutes....next day colony opened right up again

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
This thread has been pretty useful over the years. Here's a question I haven't seen addressed so far. Shortly after Christmas I noticed a fungal/bacterial issue on some of my zoas. I did an initial dip with Hydrogen Peroxide and then did subsequent dips with Furan 2 (followed by a mild Lugol's bath). I did 4 days on, 1 day off, 1 day on, 1 day off and then 4 more days on which brings me to today. The affected colonies don't appear to be significantly stressed and haven't lost anymore polyps- ie they are stable. However, I can still see areas of affected tissue on the zoas despite the fact they are fully opening.

How many cycles of treatment have people found necessary to resolve a bacterial/fungal issue with Furan 2?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has been pretty useful over the years. Here's a question I haven't seen addressed so far. Shortly after Christmas I noticed a fungal/bacterial issue on some of my zoas. I did an initial dip with Hydrogen Peroxide and then did subsequent dips with Furan 2 (followed by a mild Lugol's bath). I did 4 days on, 1 day off, 1 day on, 1 day off and then 4 more days on which brings me to today. The affected colonies don't appear to be significantly stressed and haven't lost anymore polyps- ie they are stable. However, I can still see areas of affected tissue on the zoas despite the fact they are fully opening.

How many cycles of treatment have people found necessary to resolve a bacterial/fungal issue with Furan 2?

2 usually is enough but I always do a 3rd just incase. Zoas and palys tolerate Furan 2 pretty well so no worries in dipping a little more than needed.

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to dip 5 zoa frags with furan 2, pretty sure it’s zoa pox and it’s only affecting a couple of them as of now but one of them has literally retracted and withered to almost nothing. May be too late for that one. I’ll post results in a few days.

Grateful for this thread to get some guidance, I feel a little more confident in my action plan after reading - thanks to everyone that’s contributed over the years.

TracyLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Wy Renegade thank you for posting this thread & all that have contributed. Even 10 years later it’s still relevant.
After 3 yrs in the hobby, I’ve started adding Zoas & Palys to my tank. Knowing why & how to treat them for different things is so very helpful, having the info laid out as it is makes it so much easier to use the information provided. This thread is now in my “keep” folder. ;)
Thanks again!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back