diy amino acid

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not every aquarist has access to their AA concentration/specification count.
in other words. its meaningless.

if you chuck x ounces of AA in your glass cauldron, how much percentage did you increase it by?

dirty tanks. maybe 5%. clean tanks by 100%?

not scientific at all.

Why do you think that knowledge that corals can take up free amino acids is meaningless?

If it wasn't known, or was known to be untrue, you'd surely be stating that as an objection.

Do you have to know the iron concentration before dosing to know that dosing it is useful for some organisms? I'm sure I don't. It is known to be taken up and the effects are readily observed in some cases.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or dose he measure the current level of food in his system before feeding?

Sean Donohue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying amino acids. It's funny how so many threads just turn into two sets of opposite information. It's like trying to ask multiple nutrition experts if eggs are good for you or not... (they are). So I'm going to give aminos a try. I purchased Brightwell Aquatics 1 fl. oz. Coral Amino Free Form Amino Acid Supplement for Corals for 15 bucks on amazon. It sounds like they either stimulate a feeding response or they actually are consumed by the corals in a positive way or both. I'm going to try adding amino acids before a feeding so that they are all in a receptive mood when I give them my food mix of chopped squid, shrimp, and cod (and some reef-roid sprinkles). Up to this point, most of the corals need a bit of waking-up when I add the food and sometimes I have to keep my invertebrates from getting to it first.

Sean Donohue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple weeks into dosing, I can't say I have observed any noticable changes in behavior, color, or PE. After this bottle is gone I'm just going to go back to having a variety of protein in my food mix.

FunkEngine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was there any consensus of what to actually put in a DIY supplement? Aspartic acid was mentioned, and is readily available.

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef energy every hour with a Drew's doser. It's just the suggested dosage divided by 24. The reason for this vs others is the AA's plus a little bit extra food. I noticed when walking the fine line taking inorganics next to zero via Nopox/biopellets, it was a lot easier to avoid necrosis events and helping avoid pale colors. (I hate the pale colors)

The RE every hour allows a baseline to gauge from. I do feed other stuff as well, but that's a different subject and doesn't include AA's.

kp, what was your fridge contraption?

;Cat

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back