DIY Calcium and Trace

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy:

Wondering:
Calcium reactors are some of the best way to keep calcium and trace elements, and basically Co2 melt coral calcium carbonate squeletons, to deliver calcium and trace, right?

So, Using HCL or Acetic Acid + Reactor media, can I make a stable solution for Calcium (less important) and Trace elements (more important) after the reaction is over? so I can dilute it or use it en the tank via dosing pump?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy:

Wondering:
Calcium reactors are some of the best way to keep calcium and trace elements, and basically Co2 melt coral calcium carbonate squeletons, to deliver calcium and trace, right?

I don't agree with that basic assertion. It only provids elements contained in the media. Even if they are skeletons, it doesn't provide elements used in tissues and other locations (such as silica in sponge skeletons).

I beleive that calcium chloride is made industrially by reacting HCL and calcium carbonate, but if you want to make your own, it's a pain in the butt but can be done. It bubbles a ton and is her to control. I got a volcano mixing HCl and aragonite sand.

Acetic acid will product calcium acetate, which is sold by some companies as all in one calcium and alk additives. IT's an OK way to go, but I've tried that too and you end up with excess acetic acid remaining, and is like organic carbon dosing plus calcium and alk.

OP
OP
edosan

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy!
Ok, but not saying is the best way, just some of the best. (stability)

Not interested in Calcium, just wondering about an easy way to get trace elements for corals. (Not doing it...just to know)

Made an experiment and add acetic acid (99%pure) to 3 spoons of crushed coral, and I got 3 layers (going up), first one with the remaining crushing coral, next layer was a white milky type (water?), and last (yellowish) one probably Calcium Acetate?.

Back