DIY Dosing containers

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY Dosing containers

Yes, you can purchase fancy dosing containers that work very well. I am going to give some ideas that will give different options

Budget DIY dosing containers

• 1 and 2-liter soft drink plastic bottles, clean them out, fill them up and drill a hole ¼ inch hole in the top. Drop your tubing in and hook up to you doser. I would recommend a clear bottle.

Both these options are food safe and that means reef safe.

Since we all know that we can purchase dosing container on line and there are several brands and that can be found easily online. I will not get into that for the reason they are not DIY

Custom DIY containers

Custom containers can be made to fit our needs and space that we have available

I went with 8-liter container for my needs and used acrylic which is very easy to work with. All you really need is a skill saw with a 40 tooth carbide blade, straight edge, black marker, and a plan.

I also want to note: for years I was using scigrip 16 but discovered that using the scigrip 4 with an applicator is much simpler with clear edges. This video glue acrylic is a great video on how to weld not glue acrylic. I still keep the sicgrip 16 on hand to fill holes.

My design for my needs

8L x 6w x 12 ½ h I wanted at least 6 liters and wound up with 8 liters.

5.5 liter dosing containers-Model.png

List of materials for one

2 x .223 thick acrylic 8 x 12 side

2 x .223 thick acrylic 6 x 12 side

2 x .223 thick acrylic 6 x 8 top and bottom

1 x .223 thick acrylic 5 x 5 for lid

1 acrylic hinge

1 TmallTech ¼ fitting

Glue follow the directions for the glue cure.

Square

Blue painter tape
8-19-16.jpg

IMG_20160821_115728.jpg

Finished and in place. Make sure the container is water tested. If there are leaks use the scigrip 16 to fill the leak spots

IMG_4120.JPG

Next project 2-liter dosing containers

Last edited by a moderator:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is great man! Love this!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

thomygirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an idea if you have a small system and want to make a simple ato or dosing container. Being an RN, I sometimes have access to medical supplies,that are outdated or no longer needed by my patients. A feeding tube bag is filled through a capped opening in the top and "spiked" through to rubber stopper in the bottom to,deliver the solution. IV tubing comes with a roller clamp or sometimes a dial-a-flo regulator. There are two common tubing sizes, 60 drop per ml or 10 drop per ml. So, if you don't mind the initial calculation for the drip rate, I think this would make a great delivery system for a smaller tank if a person can get their hands on this type of supplies or knows somebody who knows somebody... It would be easy to find space for something like this as you can hang it just about anywhere. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm getting ready to set one up for automatic top off on my 15gal. What do you think?

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an idea if you have a small system and want to make a simple ato or dosing container. Being an RN, I sometimes have access to medical supplies,that are outdated or no longer needed by my patients. A feeding tube bag is filled through a capped opening in the top and "spiked" through to rubber stopper in the bottom to,deliver the solution. IV tubing comes with a roller clamp or sometimes a dial-a-flo regulator. There are two common tubing sizes, 60 drop per ml or 10 drop per ml. So, if you don't mind the initial calculation for the drip rate, I think this would make a great delivery system for a smaller tank if a person can get their hands on this type of supplies or knows somebody who knows somebody... It would be easy to find space for something like this as you can hang it just about anywhere. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm getting ready to set one up for automatic top off on my 15gal. What do you think?

At the advice of @twilliard i purchased a medical infusion triple pump from ebay. I used regular Rubbermaid containers and voila! The most trustworthy dosing system you can ask for and it's also continuous!

IMG_20160830_202910.jpg

I wouldn't use it as an ATO though since the evaporation rate is not constant. But for dosing Alk/Ca/ trace elements i couldn't be happier!

Oh, forgot to mention this is much cheaper than the big name dousing pumps (and they're not even medical grade!) as cheap as a jebao! $110 which includes shipping. Again big props and thanks to @twilliard !

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Only if I work in health care, great Idea. do they make the bags in 2000 ml? If I could find the new empty bags I could fill them and food saver seal them and have disposable dosing bags.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the advice of @twilliard i purchased a medical infusion triple pump from ebay. I used regular Rubbermaid containers and voila! The most trustworthy dosing system you can ask for and it's also continuous!

IMG_20160830_202910.jpg

I wouldn't use it as an ATO though since the evaporation rate is not constant. But for dosing Alk/Ca/ trace elements i couldn't be happier!

Oh, forgot to mention this is much cheaper than the big name dousing pumps (and they're not even medical grade!) as cheap as a jebao! $110 which includes shipping. Again big props and thanks to @twilliard !

Thank you , Good to know, I will check the pumps out on ebay.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they sell the empty IV bags?

thomygirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they sell the empty IV bags?
No, IV bags aren't refillable, single use only for those. The feeding tube formula bags are refillable and have a plastic cap on top for opening and closing the bag though!

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the link i posted. It's the empty ones.

I am going to Mckesson this morning, I saw 2000ml bags. I guess to fill them I would have to pump what ever is want into them first?

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one of mine.

dos1_zpscqiumsn4.jpg
Nice work, I owe you an apology. A few months ago a member was asking about fixing a acrylic tank. You and I were going back a forth about what glue to use, I was saying #16 and you were #4:) at that time I did not understand why you were suggesting #4, and now I do. I have be working with #16 for years and no one explained why I should be using the #4.;):)

chrisver13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I did. I got a little sterilite Tupperware with a locking lid. I drilled a hole in the side and used a rubber grommet 1/4" inner diameter to seal off a airline tube in it. I then used an airline elbow on the inside angled straight down to suck the supplement down to the last drop. I also used an elbow on the outside to angle the airline tube straight up. Final result turned out great with no leaks. Theses are stackable too so it saves space.

image.jpeg

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. No apology necessary. I'm just glad you found out. if I didn't do a good job at explaining why before, then I apologize. sometimes I just post and forget to explain my thoughts. hopefully you'll also be able to help others, and warn them about 16! :)

Nice work, I owe you an apology. A few months ago a member was asking about fixing a acrylic tank. You and I were going back a forth about what glue to use, I was saying #16 and you were #4:) at that time I did not understand why you were suggesting #4, and now I do. I have be working with #16 for years and no one explained why I should be using the #4.;):)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back