DIY Filter Socks

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for this. I typically don't run filter socks, but I was using a mesh bag and filter floss when doing maintenance. These are way better. Less hassle (after they are made) and dirt cheap, less than 18¢ each for the size I am making.

Just finished up building some version 2 socks.

For thread, I just used the stuff that was on sale next to the counter, which happened to be polyester.

For anybody wanting to try this out that has never sewed before, it is pretty simple. This is the first time I have actually used a sewing machine. Everything else I have done in the past was by hand. Just read through the manual quick and have at it. It's pretty simple and fun once you get to it.
image.jpg

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I have no idea why it rotated the picture like that. I'm at home right now, so I don't have Internet access. I'm posting this from my phone. I'll see if I can fix it tomorrow.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the micron size is too critical. This stuff (I'm using the same material the original poster used) has taken out the fine dust from the sand and rocks, so it does a pretty good job. You can, obviously, go too corse to the point where it doesn't filter out the finer particles and you could potentially go too thick where you wouldn't get sufficient flow through the material and you would just overflow the sock, but that would take some really dense, really thick material.

I would think that pretty much any untreated polyester felt material would work. Untreated is key. If the material has a fire retardant in it (a lot of fabrics do), you will more than likely cause a severe issue in the tank.

Purpule Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your good explain:D
Where is find it this polyester felt?
I heared that more this kind fabric using for example:painting car,making drugs and etc.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked it up at a crafts store. Somewhere that sells fabrics.
You can find it online somewhere as well if you don't have anything local.

If you check post number 10 on the first page, there is a picture of what is used. I don't know if there are similar regulations in Tehran, but in the US there are a lot of fabrics and products that have fire retardants applied to them. So we need to specifically find the stuff without it. You notice the label has a flamable warning on it. I think most of the eco products should be okay. Double check though, wouldn't want to introduce a chemically coated poly fabric to the tank.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like they have several options that would work as they make materials specifically for filtering fluids. Your best bet would be to contact them directly to ask about aquarium use. Hopefully you can get smaller quantities of their stuff. Let us know how it works out.

Purpule Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,every one.
I want ask you that which is easiest and best way for cleaning filter sock?:bigsmile:
I hear that some of the pepole using from vinegar and bleach for cleaning them?
Thanks

Last edited:

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,every one.
I want ask you that which is easiest and best way for cleaning filter sock?:bigsmile:
I hear that some of the pepole using from vinegar and bleach for cleaning them?
Thanks

Make them and throw them away! Ha. I do wash the 3 yards of fabric when I buy it in the machine with a half cup of bleach though. That makes 24 socks for 12 bucks.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hassaan, look at the pic in the beginning of the thread. Not sure on a link.

I want to say a BIG thank you to the OP. I found this thread after deciding on trying out filter socks. The cost is very high, and I go through three pairs (Just now started only needing two pairs) a week.

I will be reusing these socks, but loved them a lot. The savings is enormous, and my thanks even more so!!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man! I'd like to hear about these guy's tanks and what types of fish/corals they get

Back