DIY Filter Socks

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea think i will just wash them with RO and vinegar. I have 8 in rotation. Going to purchase more material to make some more..

thanks for the reply..

alamo28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a great Idea! My gf has her own sewing machine and I use these in all my systems! Thanks!

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter material you buy at Joanne's, how what is the Micron rating?
Most of what I find online is 25 and 50 micron felt material. One company sells 100 micron but that's it.

I want 200 microns just like the socks I buy now.

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all those that can't make socks try this web site. WWW.filterbag.com they make all kinds of filter socks and different Micron's if you buy by the case most socks are less than $4. Bucks. They don't make the square socks from eshops. You can only get those from eshops.

Which bags do you get?

Also how did you get past the 25 quantity limit?

dmcoates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone every made the mesh type socks using 1 gallon paint strainer bags? sounds like it might work

Edd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea, I will definitely start building my own filter socks.

flounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something I am going to try! I just got a brand new sump with 3 sock holders! I never used them before and hope this clears up the water.

Salty0331

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you looking to clean them I found H2O2 works best if you want a chlorine free alternative. I use http://www.mareva.fr/us-en/go/Doc_421. You can get it at your local pool store. It is 100% H2O2 but is 35% by weight. BE CAREFUL wear protective gloves when pouring in bucket, let soak for 24hrs then blast with strong garden hose.....

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://filterbag.com/PONG100P4P-p845.html 4x12 100 micron filter socks

$2.76 per sock, minimum purchase 25, =$69. Would this be a very good price point over buying the material yourself and making them?

I currently buy my filter socks from here, http://www.aqua-socks.com/aqua-sock-store.html They are $15.99 for 5 socks, free shipping, which turns out to be $3.20 per sock. I've emailed twice about the micron rating but never heard back from them. I'm guessing 150-200 considering the amount of crap they capture. I started with 10 but only have 3 in rotation at the moment. At this rat, with cleaning them, those 10 should last a LONG time. I rinse them with a hose inside and out, then let them air dry.

Last edited:

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this since I found this thread. Much better to just toss them then having to wash them out......

I only wish there was a thicker material.....anyone use anything other then what the op posted?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back