DIY Filter Socks

murphy01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some socks are rated at different microns for filtration. What rating do you think that fabric from Jo Ann's would be at?

helldiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few people have asked me how I make my filter socks so I figure I'd post a thread in case this can be helpful to others. All you need is a sewing machine, very basic sewing skills and about 30-45 minutes every 2 months. I buy my polyester felt from JoAnn Fabric for about $2.50/yard (usually $5 but they have online coupons every month or so for 50% off). One yard of material will give me 15 12" socks which comes out to around .16 cents a piece. Old ones just get tossed and no need for washing and drying, etc. Changing them out twice a week these will last you almost 2 months.

The key to making these easy to use and change is the ring which you only need to make once. When it comes time to change socks, you just pull out the ring and thread it in to the new sock through the upper slot and you are done….30 seconds tops.

Below are the steps with photos.

1) Cut fabric in to 12" strips

sock1.jpg

2) Cut strips every 13"

sock2.jpg

3) Using the default straight stitch, fold a 1/2" flap and sew across leaving both ends open. This will be the slot that receives the ring. Doesn't have to be perfect as long as it stays wide enough that the ring can pass through.

sock3.jpg

4) Fold the fabric in half. Using the same stitch (or tighter one) close up the sock. Doesn't have to be perfect.

sock4.jpg

5) Trim the edges around stitching and cut off any long threads (not necessary).

sock5.jpg

6) Using a torch, bbq lighter, stove or hair dryer, heat up some 3/16 rigid tubing and form it around the neck of a 4" filter sock. You can leave a gap like I have or have it overlap…might be easier with the gap. I also found that if you cut one end at an angle it makes it easier to thread it through the sock.

sock6.jpg

7) Thread the ring through the slot you sewed at the top of the sock.

sock7.jpg

8) Done. Hope you can find this useful

sock8.jpg
Ty so much

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some socks are rated at different microns for filtration. What rating do you think that fabric from Jo Ann's would be at?

I don't know but the material is softer and thinner then the standard socks that are for sale.....I change 2 every 4 days which comes out to under $1 a week.....one of the best things I've done.....

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased new felt and the label doesn't say flammable anymore....anyone know if they started adding some kind of FR additives?

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased new felt and the label doesn't say flammable anymore....anyone know if they started adding some kind of FR additives?
I hope not considering I just bought, made, and am using those socks. I wondered the same thing when the "flammable" was gone but ignored it since the numbers matched. [emoji15]

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent an email to Kunin Group, hopefully I'll get a reply.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope not considering I just bought, made, and am using those socks. I wondered the same thing when the "flammable" was gone but ignored it since the numbers matched. [emoji15]

Thanks for the reply. So far everything is ok with your livestock so far?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back