DIY frag disc, reusing old sand.

Mark2480

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to long ago I broke down my bio cube and figured well why throw away the sand. So I cleaned the sand up and decided to make some frag discs. I wanted a clean look to them so i went with just 2 parts fine sand and 1 part white portland cement. I found some silicone ice cube trays for $5 a pair and used different size Dixi cups as molds. After pouring in the mixture I added sand on top of the disc and let them set. Since I didn't need them I let them dry out and cured them for about three to 4 weeks. The ph was about 8 after 2 weeks but I was not in a rush so I let them sit. Anyway just wanted to share how they came out. Not bad for reusing something I was going to throw out and I guess I will not have to buy any for a long while.
20170109_133928.jpg
20170111_115454.jpg
20170115_140651.jpg
20170116_154341.jpg

OP
OP
Mark2480

Mark2480

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I just did this for fun really, but I have some encrusting corals that I like to put on the round disc. I will most likely give some away to the fellow reefers in my area.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool!! I'm going to have about 100 lbs of old sand here soon, so maybe I'll give this a go. I like the idea of reusing, and these look great!

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share exactly what the curing process is? And do you literally just get portland cement and do a 1 part cement to 2 part sand mixture? I am going to have a ton of sand available soon and would like to do this.

OP
OP
Mark2480

Mark2480

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share exactly what the curing process is? And do you literally just get portland cement and do a 1 part cement to 2 part sand mixture? I am going to have a ton of sand available soon and would like to do this.
Yes I just used 1 part white portland cement and 2 parts sand. The sand I had was fine grain but I have done this before with larger grain sand. With the larger grain sand the plugs will look a bit more textured. As for the curing I put them in a bucket with water and just change the water when I remembered to. Its better to do it once a day but I really didn't need them so i just did it whenever I was by the bucket. Depending on the ph of the cement and how many you do at one time it usually takes about a month for the disc to be cured. After the first 24 hours the ph in the bucket was 14, once they sit for a day and the ph does not go over 8 then to me there done. There are other ways to cure them but that's how I do it.

OP
OP
Mark2480

Mark2480

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about phosphate?
Being that the plugs are not that big I would think any phosphate in the cement would leach out during the curing process. I have never tested them for phosphate at the start of the cure but I did test the end product once and the water read 0.01 on the hanna checker after letting them sit in rodi for two days.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that the plugs are not that big I would think any phosphate in the cement would leach out during the curing process. I have never tested them for phosphate at the start of the cure but I did test the end product once and the water read 0.01 on the hanna checker after letting them sit in rodi for two days.
Interesting

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I just used 1 part white portland cement and 2 parts sand. The sand I had was fine grain but I have done this before with larger grain sand. With the larger grain sand the plugs will look a bit more textured. As for the curing I put them in a bucket with water and just change the water when I remembered to. Its better to do it once a day but I really didn't need them so i just did it whenever I was by the bucket. Depending on the ph of the cement and how many you do at one time it usually takes about a month for the disc to be cured. After the first 24 hours the ph in the bucket was 14, once they sit for a day and the ph does not go over 8 then to me there done. There are other ways to cure them but that's how I do it.
Now when you cured was it rodi or salt...

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the way they came out! Im going to have to try this :)

The fine sand you mixed wasnt your left over sand right?

OP
OP
Mark2480

Mark2480

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the way they came out! Im going to have to try this :)

The fine sand you mixed wasnt your left over sand right?
Yes it was sand it had in my bio cube, I rinsed it good a few times to clean it out then let it dry out completely.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back